The Multiplayer Group (MPG) are 300 developers and data scientists, helping our clients and partners build 20+ AAA projects at any one time. We’re probably the most experienced multiplayer dev group in the world and we’re set up to help the games industry make games more easily, to deliver the highest quality, and become long-term partners.
We hire the best people, our talented team is spread across the globe. We’re remote-friendly and big on wellbeing, so if you love the sound of us, we’d love to hear from you!
We are actively recruiting a Senior VFX Artist to help MPG deliver expert art support to our clients. You will work with the art/animation/tech art team and alongside production, design, QA and engineering teams in helping to deliver the best multiplayer experiences in the world.
As a VFX Artist you will work within multidisciplinary teams, collaborating with Art Direction and Design to ensure our games are perfectly presented with narrative and gameplay sensitive/reactive VFX throughout. You have great knowledge in VFX techniques, both technically and creative, backed up with a deep understanding of colour theory, shape language, elemental behaviours, visual storytelling and animation. This allows you to convey the emotional journey and a deep immersion within our game worlds. You are as confident with stylised games as you are with realism.
You are an active voice in the art team, perhaps even capable of directly supporting other supporting crafts such as materials/shaders, world building and maybe more. You’re happy to help mentor more junior artists and work collaboratively across the team to ensure the best possible ideas are professionally presented and realised in-game.
You fully understand that your art skills will only get you so far when it comes to creating solutions and that your other non-technical skills, such as effective communication, mentoring, and teamwork are starting to play a much larger role in your work.
This is a perfect opportunity for the right person to play a big part within the art team - helping to define workflows for our teams as well as helping to set visual benchmarks following the visual direction, creatively interpreting game design and game narrative intents.
What you'll be doing:
- Follow visual direction, game & narrative design and technical briefs to ideate, concept and populate game worlds with VFX and assist others to do the same
- As you work you are naturally checking for quality and issues across the art as well as VFX
- Work using relevant VFX tools, material creators/editors & game engines - plus game development software such as version control and production tools
- Identify and log tasks, track and report on progress, assist more junior artists in doing the same
- Create benchmark visuals: following, improving or drafting documentation as you go
- Assist development with clear communication, documentation, reviews and quality assurance
- Maintain high quality standards and process: workflows, tests, documentation, approvals
- Assist more junior team members in day-to-day work, being proactive in sharing your knowledge
- Advise across the studio in matters concerning VFX for games
- Attend stand-ups, craft meetings, deep-dives, reviews, show and tells, etc
What we'll need from you:
- Senior VFX Artist level portfolio/showreel
- Solid art development experience: having worked on multiple titles on all stages of game development
- Attention to detail with a strong ability to analyse and comprehend Visual Direction and adapt style as needed
- Solid problem solving: a knowledge of workflows, dependencies, typical challenges in VFX for games
- Excellent knowledge of typical art tools needed and game engines
- Ability to create and present documentation concerning VFX for games
- Ability to advise team members on tools and workflow
- Solid experience with development workspace and production tools like Jira and P4
- Ability to communicate with leads and producers and prioritise work, flag issues, identify risks
- A good communicator with the ability to verbalise conceptual thoughts and the willingness to accept constructive critique
- “Final touch” quality control on VFX
What would help:
- Experience in a similar role is highly desirable
- Experience working on several projects concurrently
- Experience of direct communication with clients
- Experience mentoring artists
- Cinematics experience