RAICES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost immigration legal services and education to under-served immigrant children, families and refugees in Texas. RAICES seeks to hire a short-term staff legal assistant who will assist with the legal services provided at an emergency intake site in Texas. This position is located in Texas with significant regular travel to remote locations within Texas.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- May conduct legal screenings;
- Conduct Know Your Rights presentations using KYR orientation materials approved by RAICES for Unaccompanied Children in accordance with an assigned plan and schedule;
- Make referrals for additional services, as appropriate;
- Assume general administrative responsibilities, including data entry, grant compliance, timekeeping, case management and other tasks related to program compliance; and
- Serve as a translator on occasion.
- Fluency (written and verbal) in both the Spanish and English languages;
- Must be able to pass all required background checks including a security clearance to enter a United States military base;
- Able to travel to multiple remote sites within Texas;
- Capacity for working both independently and on team projects;
- Proficient in use of technology including MS Office, Google Apps, general office equipment and internet research;
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree or comparable work experience is preferred but not required;
Ability to thrive in a high-paced work environment, while maintaining both procedural and ethical integrity; and
- Excellent organizational skills.
Terms & Conditions:
- 3 month contract with potential renewal;
- 40 hours work per week at $24.50-26.00 per hour depending on experience;
- Significant travel to remote locations in Texas;
- Frequent work in a detention facility for children;
- An opportunity to make an important contribution to immigrant children’s lives.
RAICES is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or a record of arrest or conviction. We strongly encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.