Do you want to work on one of the world’s largest scale software engineering problems? Do you relish in working on massive scale data problems? Does the idea of building and tuning huge infrastructure that has incredibly tight performance and availability constraints excite you? Do you dream about changing the world through engineering? We need people who are unafraid of building large scale software that have the potential to change humanity.
We’re searching for great engineers to make up our Offboard Infrastructure engineering team. We have direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, and vehicle controls. We are responsible for building the software infrastructure and tools that underlies our datacenters and applications, powers the decisions of the machine learning software, and serves up all the key data pipelines and key data models. Our software is fundamental to our success and every engineer at the ATC depends on it.
In order to do this, we’re looking for people who ask a lot of questions, are confident not knowing everything, and are more likely to ask for help and collaborate than go it alone. We need systems and data engineers who are looking at making a direct and immediate impact on a world class engineering organization. And, finally, we’re looking for people who are eager to change the world.
What will you be doing?
- Work closely with all teams, spanning the range from machine learning teams, to datacenter teams, to sensor teams, to understand needs, distill requests, come up with plans, get buy-in, and write software in our Pittsburgh office;
- Write software that will be processing more data than you’ve probably ever worked with before;
- Provide supporting infrastructure to other teams so we can write code that will affect the real world; and
- Work with other elite engineers who will challenge and push you to your best.
What experience are we looking for?
- BS in Computer Science or a related field. A MS or equivalent is preferred;
- Python, C, and C++ programming skills;
- 2+ years or equivalent experience, 5+ for senior engineers;
- A strong background in Linux software development;
- Strong skills in process, documentation, and change management; and
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a customer facing attitude.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the Uber Engineering Team. We are a high performing team that is marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe and reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
As an Uber ATC team member, you’ll have a direct impact on the development of these technologies. Do you dream about changing the world? Then, you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged, and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.