AccuWeather has an exciting new opportunity to join our growing team as a Software Developer. This role will assist in the design, implementation and enhancement of software processing real-time weather content used within AccuWeather’s suite of cutting edge consumer and enterprise products. Innovative new weather data and capabilities play a key role in AccuWeather’s award-winning applications used by millions of users all over the world each day to stay safe from dangerous weather, adjust their plans and optimize the performance of their business!
This role will utilize their knowledge of relational databases, document-oriented databases and object oriented software engineering to build new components and enhance existing software used to process real-time weather data.
Within AccuWeather’s highly collaborative environment, this role will work with business leaders, product managers, other software engineers and IT Operations Professionals in order to develop and maintain core data processing software and assist in the integration of new capabilities into products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs or writes software specifications based on consultations with supervisor, systems analysts, other programmers, and end users.
- Designs relational database table structures, stored procedures and other database objects required in order to catalog and process foundational weather information into a relational database.
- Coordinates with Enterprise Database Administrator to test and promote relational database updates into production environment.
- Develops software that can easily be tested, deployed, updated and monitored in a production environment.
- Writes and maintains documentation of changes to software.
- Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with software.
- Revises software for corrections, enhancements, or system environment changes.
- Trains end users or technical support staff to use and support software released into production.
- Stays current on relevant technologies and is able to utilize new technology within projects as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BS in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of experience developing with C#, Java or C++ or similar language.
- Minimum 3 years designing and implementing relational database tables and stored procedures.
- Experience effectively using object-oriented programming concepts is required.
- Familiarly with MongoDB or other NoSQL document-oriented databases is preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft SQL Server is preferred.
- Experience with regular expressions, XML and RESTful web services are preferred.
- Experience using scripting languages such as Perl and Python is preferred.
- Verbal and written communication skills are very important.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team as well as individually on specific deliverables and tasks.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
AccuWeather is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer