Khan Academy is looking for talented software developers for our Summer 2019 internship program to create a free virtual classroom for the world. Join us on our mission to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart who believe that shipping beats perfection. We have built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small, talented team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
Current students will be evaluated for our internship while post-grads will be evaluated for our fellowship.
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. Recent intern projects include:
Every day, learners of all ages rely on Khan Academy to learn. Khan Academy has been featured broadly, including in 60 Minutes, Wired, and The Economist.
- To be earning a degree in computer science or related field
- A 2020 or 2021 graduation year
- At least one previous software internship or equivalent experience
- Excitement about helping Khan Academy bring a free, world-class education to the world.
- Eagerness to learn, educate, write code, and build products used by millions of learners and teachers.
- Strong communication, thoughtfulness, and desire to give and receive regular feedback
- Empathy for learners around the world. You love learning and are excited about helping others learn to love learning. You’re motivated to learn new things and share what you learn with the world.
12-13 weeks of availability
You don't need:
- We don't require experience in any particular technology. Our commitment to on-boarding and mentorship means you won’t be left in the dark as you learn new technologies.
We offer the following benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries, housing stipends, and all travel covered
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software that's already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and provides the support and mentorship to help you grow
How to apply:
- Attach your resume below
Address the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
Links to projects (we really like these, but they are not a requirement). We especially like living, breathing projects, demos, or commentaries on your work. Please don’t just send code – show or tell us why you wrote it, what it’s for, what you like about it, how it helps someone, etc. No project is too small if it’s something you care about. If you're feeling especially creative feel free to include a link to a project that you've built on our programming platform.
- If you’d like to provide a more traditional cover letter addressing your interest in KA (in addition to the diversity-based response), please feel free to attach that below.
To learn more about our work:
As an organization and as individuals, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, medical conditions, genetic information, disability, or Veteran status. We strongly encourage all candidates to complete the EEOC questions below so that we can continue to monitor our processes and ensure we are creating an environment that allows candidates to feel comfortable and display their best selves across many lines of difference.
Finally, if you feel under-qualified, remember that we’ve all been there too. Here are some great posts on building up the courage and skills to apply for your dream job, from awesome people who have worked at KA: