What will you be doing?
This position is a DevOps position. The DevOps Software Engineer shall be responsible for modifying, testing, deploying, and monitoring the TOOLMETRICS software suite to ensure the software is running according to specifications.
Position Required Skills
- Experience using the Linux CLI
- Experience developing scripts using Bash/Python
- Experience developing with Java in a Unix environment
- Experience with NoSQL technologies including Accumulo
- Experience with Cloud Technologies such as Hadoop Framework
- Experience using Apache NiFi canvas to process and distribute Big Data
- Experience with various open source software frameworks used for searching, monitoring, and analyzing big data such as ElasticStack (i.e. Elasticsearch, Beats, Kibana, Logstash)
- Experience with the Atlassian Tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence)
Position Desired Skills:
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
- Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes
Active TS/SCI with an appropriate polygraph is required to be considered for this role.
LCAT Description: The Software Engineer designs, develops, tests, deploys, documents, maintains, and enhances complex and diverse software systems based upon documented requirements. These systems might include, but are not limited to, processing intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real-time systems, business management information systems, and systems which incorporate data repositories, data transport services, and application and systems development and monitoring. Works individually or as part of a team. Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results. Resolves software problem reports. Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment. Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Open Source Software (OSS) and/or Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Government Off-The-Shelf (GOTS) software in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components. Experience developing in UNIX. Ability to perform shell scripting. Working knowledge of Configuration Management (CM) tools and Web Services implementation.
The Level 2 Software Engineer (SWE) shall possess the following capabilities:
- Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
- Debug existing software and correct defects.
- Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
- Write or review software and system documentation.
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
- Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories.
- Has experience with agile development processes.
- Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
- Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
- Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
- Familiarization with queue management systems
- Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
- Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
- Develop software solutions by analyzing system performance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
- Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
- Design, develop, and modify software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
- Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
- Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
- Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian).
- Software development using continuous integration practices
- Experience with container technologies (ie. Docker).
- Unix shell scripting
- Development of event driven or data driven analytics
- Development of cloud-based solutions and technologies.
- Design or implement complex algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing, system resource, or interface constraints. Perform quality control on team products.
- Recommend and implement suggestions for improving documentation and software development process standards.
- Oversee one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Confer with system engineers and hardware engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements, and interfaces.
- Coordinate software installation on a system and monitor performance to ensure operational specifications are met.
- Recommend new technologies and processes for complex software projects.
- Serve as the technical lead of multiple software development teams.
- Select the software development process in coordination with the customer and system engineering.
- Ensure quality control of all developed and modified software.
- Delegate programming and testing responsibilities to one or more teams and monitor their performance.
SWE-2 Qualifications: Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus seven (7) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity
Nine (9) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
Who are we?
Praxis Engineering* was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Annapolis Junction MD - with growing offices in Chantilly VA and Aberdeen MD.
Praxis Engineering is a consulting, product, and solutions firm dedicated to the practical application of software and system engineering technologies to solve complex problems.
With over 300 employees supporting more than 50 contracts, Praxis brings together world class engineers with proven engineering best practices, domain expertise, commercial technologies and proven agile management approaches to create high value solutions aimed at helping our customers meet their most critical business and mission objectives.
*Praxis Engineering is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics IT.
We are focused on continual learning and evolution. We don’t do things because “that’s the way we’ve always done things”; we listen to our employees and adapt to the changing marketplace. We look at the big picture and encourage our engineers to get training and certifications in emerging technologies that will help shape our customer’s mission. We've been profitable year after year. We're always on the lookout for great engineers to join the team and we recognize that our employees are the heart and soul of what we do. We focus on recruiting talented people, treating them right, and then allowing them to do what they do best. No red tape. No micromanagement. Smart people want to work with smart people, and we love people who are passionate about what they do, and finding ways to do it better.
And then there is the...
- Attractive total compensation package to include competitive salary and medical benefits with an option for FREE employee HSA medical plan!
- Office perks such as free soft drinks and snacks (both healthy and not-so-healthy)
- Praxis swag (annual gift certificate to purchase top brand Praxis apparel)
- 401k contribution/match: combination of profit share/contribution (3.5%) and employer match (up to 4.5%) for a total of 8%.
- Annual bonus plan
- 4 weeks Paid Time Off + 10 holidays + comp time eligibility. (30+ days of leave to start!)
- We reward longevity! On your 5th work anniversary – you will receive an additional week of PTO to 5 weeks of PTO. Making it 35+ days of leave altogether!
- On your 10th work anniversary – you will receive an additional week of PTO to 6 weeks of PTO. Making it 40+ days of leave altogether!
- At any time, your unused PTO can be traded in for $$$!
- Carryover a max of 380hours of leave from year to year. You can choose to have a sabbatical one year or trade in your unused PTO for something nice!
Training is a priority! Take advantage of our endless in-house training opportunities - or seek out vendor offered (paid) training opportunities like conferences, certification courses and seminars.
- Conferences (recently attended by Praxis employees): AWS Summit, IoT World, Black Hat and DefCon.
- Training & Certifications: Splunk, AWS, Big Data/Cloudera, VMWare, Scrum Master...the list of certifications goes on and on!
- Praxis University: Cyber Research, Data Analytics, IoT, AWS and RedHat course offerings and hands-on training.
- We truly believe the right work-life balance can exist, and it's here at Praxis. Our work is extremely important, but your job is just a part of who you are. When you enjoy your life outside of our walls, you're at your best the next time you walk through our doors. We do all we can to assure that happens every day.
Praxis Engineering provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other protected class.