Software Engineer, Platform
Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 17 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities — including 120+ minority-serving institutions. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they choose as a major, and who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
What does a Platform Engineer do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for a Software Engineer who is an excellent operations engineer with a strong focus in automation. You'll be working with the Platform team whose goal is to build and maintain our cloud infrastructure and collaborate across all of engineering to build a productive, reliable platform for product engineering.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake:
- Working with Product and Engineering peers to build an Engineering Platform that is reliable, scalable, performant, secure and productive.
- Maintaining and optimizing our databases including Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redis, and GCP Serverless Databases.
- Building networking infrastructure to support international expansion with world-class security, performance and maintainability.
- Automating infrastructure provisioning and configuration through tools like Terraform and Kubernetes.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You act with empathy when partnering with fellow engineers and coworkers.
- You have 5+ years experience in building consumer-facing web infrastructure in a dynamic development environment.
- You are passionate about building simple and high quality infrastructure.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You are strong in Operations, but have passion and knowledge in automation and backend engineering.
- You appreciate good documentation and procedures.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
Technologies you'll work with:
- Kubernetes, Terraform, GCP, AWS
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub, Elasticsearch
- Ruby on Rails, Golang
Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.