When submitting your resume, please indicate in your cover letter your desired start and end dates for this internship, as well as whether you are searching for a paid internship or class credit.
The Software Engineering Intern is responsible for assisting with development and testing our core Ruby components. This role reports to the Director of Engineering.
The ideal candidate has some development experience in Ruby or a similar language and exposure to software engineering best practices. Additional experience writing software for service-oriented architectures and/or in support of mobile applications is a big plus.
- Work with the Back-End Engineering team and product management to develop solutions for our Ruby on Rails applications
- Review product documentation to understand feature requirements and ask for clarification
- Accurately estimate time to complete deliverables
- Deliver production-quality code with adequate automated test coverage
- Diagnose bugs found in the application, propose solutions, and implement them
Skills & Experience
- Hands-on experience designing and developing software; previous internship experience is a plus
- Candidates with active GitHub profiles or previously released software are preferred
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar MVC framework
- Understanding of relational and/or noSQL databases
- Working knowledge of source control tools (Git, Subversion, etc.)
- Experience in a mixed mobile/web environment or with service-oriented architectures a plus
- Exposure to unit and/or integration test frameworks such as RSpec or Cucumber
- Current Bachelor/Master in Computer Science student or recent graduate
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Creative, organized and resourceful
- Able to work in a dynamic, face paced environment without skipping a beat
- Demonstrate common sense and exercise good judgment when faced with emergencies
- Humility and emotional maturity