The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyperproductivity. We focus on the development of key technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers and engineers with decades of experience, whose efforts are focused on mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy technologies. We’re looking for talented and driven interns who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence to join our team.
As a software engineering intern, you'll have a direct impact on the development of cutting edge technologies in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, vehicle control, embedded system, sensors, and cluster computing. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for science and engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people around their cities. Our research today, will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for software engineers interns who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment. You have advanced knowledge in hardware design, and/or software development (e.g. Python and/or C/C++) and knowledge of or eagerness to learn techniques in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, planning, control, and sensors.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Internship/co-ops for spring & summer 2017.
- Applicants must be returning to at least one semester of school upon completion of the internship.
- Competitive hourly pay.
- Catered meals and unlimited snacks.
- Monthly housing stipend, reimbursement for cell phone bill and credits for Uber rides.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Opportunity for full time employment upon successful completion of the internship.