About MapR TechnologiesHeadquartered in San Jose, Calif., MapR provides the industry’s only Converged Data Platform that enables customers to harness the power of big data by combining analytics in real-time to operational applications to improve business outcomes. With MapR, enterprises have a data management platform for undertaking digital transformation initiatives to achieve competitive edge. Amazon, Cisco, Google, Microsoft, SAP, and other leading businesses are part of the global MapR partner ecosystem. For more information, visit www.mapr.com.MapR Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.
We’re looking for team players with a commitment to excellence. If you are interested in a fast-paced, high power environment and have a proven track record of exceeding expectations, delighting customers, or overcoming difficult problems, we encourage you to contact us. We are expanding our high quality team across all departments and would love to hear from you.Overview of Position
The Director of Solutions Engineering is responsible for managing and developing the team of Territory Systems Engineers in the assigned regions. Territory Systems Engineers are the technical backbone of the Sales organization, articulating our value proposition to customers, showing off our differentiation with product demonstrations and proofs of concept as and when required, specifying product configurations, and working closely with our partners.
This leader is responsible for:
• Planning and executing for success; meeting & exceeding revenue objectives
• Ensuring that our customers are consistently delighted with the pre-sales experience
• Hiring a team of A+ players, including the development of a pipeline of top talent
• Working with regional and area Sales Managers to ensure our sales reps are adequately resourced
• Developing, mentoring and coaching the SE team, ensuring they are working at the optimum level
• Nurturing and expanding on talents in the existing team
• Identifying obstructions to success and facilitating solutions
• Performance management for team members
• Ensuring that new hires are properly on-boarded and trained.Required Background
The successful candidate will have a strong track record hiring, leading, managing, coaching and mentoring SE's. At least three years’ experience in this role is required, and preferably more, with a demonstrated track record of success in that role. A track record of success as an SE prior to managerial experience is essential. The winning candidate will know how to plan and execute for success. He or she will need to demonstrate an ability to work closely with peers to ensure a successful outcome.
The candidate we are seeking is driven, focused, and highly process-oriented; the candidate must drive towards the plan, but also must recognize when the plan needs to be adapted. The candidate must be highly organized, and ideally should have a track record of taking a startup organization to the next stage of growth and maturity. The candidate should believe in leading by example, and have a strong ability to inspire and motivate his or her team to success. The successful candidate will be intellectually curious, a fast learner, and a great listener. Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must.
Hadoop is all about working with data, so experience with database, data warehousing, business intelligence (BI) and ETL systems is strongly desired
. An understanding of distributed systems technology based on Linux platforms is desirable. Experience selling and deploying Linux-based solutions to Enterprise customers is desirable. Significant travel within the region will be required, as well as quarterly visits to MapR Technologies Networks’ headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area. Superior communication and relationship-development skills are a must. Key Accountabilities
Meet or exceed revenue targets for a given territory, in conjunction with the SE team in the region. Accountable to the WW VP of Systems Engineering, and to regional and area Sales management. Education and Experience
• At least three years’ experience managing SE's, preferably more, with a provable track record of success, is absolutely required
• Prior experience as an SE, with a strong track record of success, is strongly desired
• Hands-on experience deploying Linux-based solutions is highly desirable
• Experience with enterprise-scale database, data warehousing, business intelligence, ETL and/or data modeling solutions is highly desirable
• Knowledge of storage and I/O performance optimization fundamentals is desirable
• Rudimentary knowledge of the Java programming language is a plus
• BA/BS in a technical discipline is desirable but not necessary