BuzzFeed is seeking an experienced developer who is passionate about building software to join our web platform team to create a modern architecture for BuzzFeed.com. This is a great opportunity to make a big impact by shipping code that will be used by over 200 million people every month.
About The Job
We have a lean, iterative development process. We integrate and deploy often. We're looking for a talented, motivated individual who can work both independently and collaboratively. You should take pride in designing elegant, simple solutions to challenging problems, creating quality software and promoting best practices for writing maintainable, well-tested code. You are comfortable setting standards for architecture as well as evaluating tools and process. You enjoy mentoring less experienced developers. You are looking for a team where you can make a difference while also being challenged to improve your own skills.
- Work closely with product leads, designers, project managers and back-end engineers to implement versatile front-end solutions to complex web development problems.
- Optimize our web products to maximize speed and scale. Support diverse clients from desktop computers to small footprint mobile devices.
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Launch, iterate and make a difference. Be committed to making our products better for our users.
It's essential you have:
Proven experience in building large scale web applications
- Excellent front-end web development skills:
HTML5. Semantic markup patterns for flexible reuse.
CSS / SCSS. Good understanding of modern techniques such as Responsive Web Design and progressive enhancement.
Experience of TDD in server and client side contexts.
Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures and consuming RESTful web services via HTTP.
Experience with agile workplaces and working within a collaborative team.
- Experience with mentoring team members and assisting with their professional development
A big plus would be:
- An enthusiasm for news and entertainment.
- Automated testing with Ruby (Cucumber and / or Rspec) or PHP (Behat).
- Healthy interest in emerging platform level technologies – service worker, queues, microservices, react etc.
- A level of familiarity with AWS or similar Cloud Infrastructure and associated tooling.
- Experience of using a CI system and version control.
- Knowledge of strategies to improve performance (HTTP caching, language best practices.)