ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, and his wife, Pam, established Omidyar Network (ON) in 2004 based on the belief that every person has the potential to make a difference. Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. The organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change. To date, Omidyar Network has committed over $1 billion globally to for-profit companies and non-profit organizations that foster empowerment and economic advancement across multiple initiatives, including financial inclusion, property rights, governance and citizen engagement, emerging tech, and education, as well as with our impact investing and entrepreneurship teams. Unique in the world of impact investment, we make both private investments and nonprofit grants within a single initiative area (e.g., education), identifying like-minded innovators and organizations that we support, help scale, and collaborate with to help realize their full potential. ON’s focus is broad, both topically and geographically, including US, India, SE Asia, Africa, and Latin America. To learn more, please visit www.omidyar.com.
ABOUT OMIDYAR NETWORK IN INDIA:
Omidyar Network India Advisors (ONIA) is a leader in venture capital, philanthropy and impact investing in India. India is a key geography for ON, and the office has a large team and sizeable and diverse portfolio, that contains leaders in for- and non-profit entrepreneurial organizations. Each of our initiatives is represented here, as are the critical functions (e.g. Marcomm, Human Capital, Legal, Finance, etc.) that support our investees and employees.
ABOUT THE STRATEGY TEAM:
In 2013, ON introduced new strategy, research, and learning functions, housed within our Intellectual Capital team, to complement existing investment and portfolio management approaches to amplify our investees’ social and commercial impact at scale.
We operate as an in-house consulting group, research shop, and think tank that supports strategy, insight, and learning efforts across the organization. It is a globally distributed team across three offices, currently comprising eight people. We work on:
- Setting and refining corporate strategy with the ON Board and senior management (e.g., where should we focus in Africa? what will ON look like in 2026?);
- Developing investment strategies with our initiative investment teams – e.g. scoping potential investment theses for our global financial inclusion initiative).
- Providing targeted strategic support to selected portfolio organizations (e.g., should a firm consider a pivot from B2B to B2C?);
- Investigating and analyzing important, cross-cutting topics (e.g., the potential for biometric ID and block-chain technologies to deliver social impact);
- Performing analysis on key internal topics to improve ON decisions and processes (e.g. B2G investments’ performance and implications for how we finance them);
- Supporting measurement & learning activities across the organization (e.g. establishing a framework to measure the impact of our policy grants); and
- Producing and / or commissioning high-quality research and analysis for public dissemination on issues that matter to us and can help galvanize social impact, working with think tanks, consultancies, academics, etc. (e.g., recent publications like Big Data, Small Credit, Frontier Capital, Open Data’s Impact)
ON is seeking a passionate, independent, entrepreneurial individual to be based in our Mumbai office who can work across a range of initiatives, projects and issues. Though housed within the strategy team, part of the mandate for this senior position will be to focus on India’s strategic and investment priorities. In addition, the position might involve coverage of, and support to, ON’s work in Myanmar and SE Asia. As such, the position will report to both the Managing Director in India, as well as a Director / Partner in the Strategy team.
- Collaborate with initiative teams (e.g., education, financial inclusion) in shaping their sector-level strategies, investment theses and research
- Assist India’s senior leadership in identifying strategic priorities for ONIA (e.g. India-specific experimental bets that ONIA might pursue)
- Conduct or commission research and analysis to support decision-making on topics of importance to ON’s Board and leadership
- Identify key adjacencies to ON initiative areas with relevance to potential activities in India and beyond (e.g., digital identity, India stack).
Research: Assist the India team’s and strategy team’s leadership with priority projects in ON’s focus areas. Examples include:
- Research to refine investment theses and strategies (e.g., assessment of enabling environment and consumer attitudes to digital connectivity in India; understanding barriers to delivering urban property rights)
- Cutting-edge primary research for ON published reports (e.g., “Big Data, Small Credit”)
- Research design, contracting, and management of consultants, consumer survey research firms, think tanks, academics, etc. (e.g., “Drones and Aerial Observation: New Technologies for Property Rights”)
- Research using digital ‘big data’ and crowdsourced tools on trends in emerging markets and key ON areas of interest (e.g. how MSMEs in India are using social media to enhance business functions).
Analysis: Assist firm and India leadership in conducting key analyses of cross-cutting issues, results, and trends to inform ON / ONIA operations
- Track key macro trends in India that matter for ON’s investing and theories of change (e.g. in political economy, in venture and impact investing, etc.)
- Refine and distill overall firm-wide analyses (e.g., social impact, financial returns, initiative strategies, etc.) to yield India-specific insights and lessons, for external (e.g. publications) and internal (e.g. ON teams) audiences.
Learning & Impact: In parallel to articulating strategy, assist initiative teams to develop impact measurement framework and metrics to assess effectiveness of their work in empowering individuals.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A deep passion for Omidyar Network’s mission and approach to social change, and preferably some professional exposure to our focus areas
- A minimum of 8 years of work experience with the following credentials:
- Experience with a top tier consultancy, serving private sector clients, having reached engagement manager level within the consultancy required
- Experience in-market in India required
- Experience having worked in private sector Applicants with no private sector experience will not be considered.
- Experience in mission-oriented work in addition to private sector experience a strong plus, e.g., donor agency, NGO, foundation.
- Excellent research, analysis and communication skills
- Ability to switch between strategic and practical thinking, with top-class project management skills
- Ability to independently frame problems and the resulting analyses required to answer the questions, across both business and mission-oriented situations and questions
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Clear written and oral communication skills required
- Fluency in various formats (e.g. Powerpoint, Excel, Word)
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to work with limited direction
Authorization to work in India
MBA strongly preferred but not required.
Candidates with work authorization for India who meet the profile described above are also encouraged to apply. Omidyar Network is committed to building a diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV, and an optional two-page writing sample to: https://boards.greenhouse.io/omidyarnetwork/jobs/274402