Vimeo’s mission is to empower creators to make, share and sell amazing videos directly to viewers worldwide, in the highest quality possible, with no interruptive advertising. A focus on high-quality UX and design has been at the core of Vimeo’s DNA since the beginning. Read: Vimeo designers have a MAJOR impact on the business. Since this Vimeo baby was birthed, we've designed beautiful, minimalist UI around the world’s best videos, the world's most gorgeous video player, an incredibly friendly website, and all kinds of newfangled mobile and responsive things. Not to mention, we've hit up Benihana for at least three design team outings.
As Senior Product Designer, you will work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, stakeholders, and other designers. You’ll have direct impact on Vimeo’s business through design ownership of the audience aspects of Vimeo (think discovery, browse, search, categories, recommendations, mobile web, and many more ways to get eyes on videos). You will also help innovate and improve our video player, considered by our moms to be the handsomest video player on the net.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Deliver best-in-class discovery, browse, search and viewing experiences worthy of the amazing videos creators upload to Vimeo each and every day
- Increase audience plays and engagement across all devices and platforms
- Foster a strong and always friendly connection between our creators and the humans watching their videos
- Execute simple and beautiful design that combines intuitive UX with the finer details into a cohesive product that’s so good, you can’t help but brag about it (even though you’re typically a pretty humble person)
- Grow your design chopsticks (did we mention Benihana??) in a collaborative team bursting with talented product designers
HOW YOU'LL DO IT:
- Lead the design of intuitive viewing and discovery experiences that drive plays, engagement, number of videos watched, and other Vimeo product goals
- Learn from designers, product managers, and developers of all levels and diverse expertise to creatively solve problems and reach our goals
- Create new features and improve our video pages, search, browse, categories, mobile web site, and more
- Own projects from conception to implementation to iteration; be the go-to expert on browse and discovery of Vimeo videos, creators, channels, and more
- Own the end-to-end design process, from wireframes to high-fidelity mockups, and the implementation of those designs with front-end engineers
- Demonstrate and communicate designs across departments and stakeholders with clarity and conviction. And other cool words that start with “C.”
- Create product specifications, process flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE YOU SHOULD POSSESS:
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating relevant experience. Show your work and process, not just final designs
- 5+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar UX-related role with accompanying experience in visual/graphic design
- A hunger to hone your talents in a collaborative environment
- Strong experience with product/iterative work with a single product or client
- Strong ability to communicate your design vision through verbal and written explanation, sketching, or quick mock ups to small or large groups, from designers to executives
- Experience with content discovery on a large-scale web application, preferably one that deals primarily with UGC content
- A tendency to roll your eyes when job descriptions use words like "rock star designer", "intuitive design sensibility”, or "expert in Photoshop" since, you know, duh
- Well-rounded understanding of user-centered design process, as well as strong knowledge of user experience principles
- Experience working in a collaborative team of designers, product managers, and developers for implementation of designs (hands-on instead of hand offs)
- A bachelor's degree in interaction design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent UX experience is ideal
- Experience prototyping (Invision and/or front-end implementation of designs)
ABOUT THE DESIGN TEAM:
Vimeo's Design team is responsible for creating the top quality user experience Vimeo is known for. Designers are responsible for everything from user flows to visual design to brand communication. They think big and small designing complex tools and obsessing over tiny UI details. The team works closely with product, project management, and engineering to keep Vimeo minimal, powerful, and intuitive. They have an empathic understanding of user needs and advocate for user-centric design while constantly pushing Vimeo into new innovation.
Vimeo’s mission is to empower creators to make, share and sell amazing videos directly to viewers worldwide, in the highest quality possible and with no interruptive advertising. Vimeo is home to the world’s leading video creators and the hundreds of millions of viewers who love them. We’d love to welcome you to both our team, and our community.
Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo, Inc is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI).