TRM is on a mission to build a safer financial system for billions of people. We deliver a blockchain intelligence data platform to financial institutions, crypto companies, and governments to fight cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime. We consider our business — and our profit — as a way to move towards our mission sustainably and at scale.
The Data Platform team collaborates with an experienced group of data scientists, engineers, and product managers to build highly available and scalable data infrastructure for TRM's products and services. As a Sr Database Infrastructure Engineer on the Data Platform team, you will be responsible for executing mission-critical systems and data services that analyze blockchain transaction activity at petabyte scale, and ultimately work to build a safer financial system for billions of people.
The impact you'll have here:
- Regularly review and analyze the current codebase to detect performance bottlenecks and anti-patterns that can hinder application scalability.
- Design and implement prototype solutions to address identified issues. These prototypes should be able to serve as benchmarks for broader application performance improvements.
- Work closely with the Data Product Team to share findings, solutions, and recommendations. Evangelize the importance of performance optimization within the team, ensuring alignment on best practices and solutions.
- Conduct performance experiments and benchmarks, using the results to guide the team and shape the future technical roadmap for the serving layer.
- Evaluate the current state of the petabyte scale Postgres Cluster, including configurations, data structures, and dependencies.
- Develop and establish a long-term technical roadmap, setting the direction for future infrastructure enhancements and innovations.
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related field;
- 8+ years of experience;
- Ability to write complex SQL queries;
- Strong skills in one or more programming languages;
- Knowledge of RDBMS Architectures;
- Familiarity with database profiling tools specific to the RDBMS (SQL Server Profiler, Oracle's AWR, or MySQL's Performance Schema);
- Experience with ORM tools (Hibernate, Entity Framework, or Sequelize);
- Knowledge of normalization and denormalization techniques.
About TRM's Engineering Levels:
Engineer: Responsible for helping to define project milestones and executing small decision decisions independently with the appropriate tradeoffs between simplicity, readability, and performance. Provides mentorship to junior engineers, and enhances operational excellence through tech debt reduction and knowledge sharing.
Senior Engineer: Successfully designs and documents system improvements and features for an OKR/project from the ground up. Consistently delivers efficient and reusable systems, optimizes team throughput with appropriate tradeoffs, mentors team members, and enhances cross-team collaboration through documentation and knowledge sharing.
Staff Engineer: Drives scoping and execution of one or more OKRs/projects that impact multiple teams. Partners with stakeholders to set the team vision and technical roadmaps for one or more products. Is a role model and mentor to the entire engineering organization. Ensures system health and quality with operational reviews, testing strategies, and monitoring rigor.
The following represents the expected range of compensation for this role:
- The estimated base salary range for this role is $200,000 - $230,000.
- Additionally, this role may be eligible to participate in TRM’s equity plan.
Please note – we factor in the different costs for geographies outside the United States.
Life at TRM Labs
TRM's culture is shaped by how we make decisions, how we execute, and how we treat each other
- Impact-Oriented Trailblazer: We put customers first, driving for speed, focus, and adaptability.
- Master Craftsperson: We prioritize speed, high standards, and distributed ownership.
- Inspiring Colleague: We value humility, candor, and a one-team mindset.
Build a Career
Joining TRM means being part of a mission-driven team comprised of industry leaders.
At TRM, you'll experience:
- Purpose and Mission: Real-world impact, from disrupting terrorist networks to returning stolen funds.
- Inspiring Colleagues: Collaborate with industry leaders and learn something new daily.
- Personal Growth: We're not just using technology; we're inventing it and taking category-defining products to market.
- Remote First: Our headquarters is online. Tools like Zoom and Slack ensure seamless collaboration, but we also value in-person interactions, organizing regular meetups and offsites for team bonding.
- Async Communication: Clear communication is key in our decentralized setup. With tools like Slack, Loom, and voice notes, we document meetings and decisions, promoting transparency and efficiency.
- High Ownership: Small teams drive big goals at TRM. Every team member has significant ownership and responsibility, fostering an environment of initiative and direct impact. While there's no strict clocking in or out, we expect team members to balance personal schedules and team needs.
- TRM Speed: We move “surprisingly fast” while maintaining a high bar in service of our customers and mission. This can feel both intense and rewarding. Our unique approach to projects emphasizes quick wins, rapid iterations, and constant feedback.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity at TRM encompasses backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Every day is an opportunity to learn from a colleague, whether they're a law enforcement expert or a tech pioneer.
Benefits and Perks
At TRM, we know that supporting our team members can take many forms. Our goal is to enable you to care for yourself, your family, and your community while eliminating stress through our diverse and curated benefits package for full-time employees.
- Remote-first work environment
- Regular team offsites and retreats
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Premium health, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA, HSA, and 401K programs
- Life & disability coverage
- Generous paid time for vacation, volunteering, sick leave, and parental leave
- Fertility, professional coaching, and mental health resources
We are looking for team members who love building from the ground up and want to work hard in a fast-paced and ambitious environment. We are remote-first, with exceptionally talented team members located around the world. If you like solving tough problems quickly and seeing your work improve the lives of billions of people, we want you at TRM.
We encourage you to reach out even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Do not worry about picking exactly the right job; we can always explore other options after starting the conversation. Your passion and interests will set you apart, especially if your background or career is unconventional.