In order to take our government business to the next level we are looking to hire a Software Engineer to join our Public Sector team. This Software Engineer will work on developing, adapting, and extending our commercial software products to fit the needs of our government customers.
At Orbital Insight, we work in cross-functional Agile teams, exploring how geospatial data, data science, AI/deep learning, computer vision, and intimacy with user needs can create entirely new products that give novel insights about what we are doing on and to the earth. Our pioneering products help people answer questions that cannot be answered today.
As a member of our technical staff, you’ll be working on our cloud-based systems that ingest a wide variety of data, run advanced machine learning algorithms on that data, use data science techniques to discover trends and detect anomalies, and allow users to ask questions and get answers – and do it all at scale with ever-increasing amounts of data.
We value experienced engineers who already have a breadth of experience in multiple areas -- databases, devops, machine learning, API design, and more -- and are eager to learn new areas and new technologies.
If all this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to meet you.
This position will be based in our Arlington, Virginia office but may require some work at customer sites in the DC area. Occasional travel to corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, California may be required.
This position requires active TS clearance
- Stand up, add features to, and maintain our high-side (i.e. classified SIPR-net) deployments in C2S - You are the primary engineer for these initiatives
- Ability to lead a cross functional team for a government engagement including facilitating design and implementation, as well as project management, to meet contractual deliverables
- Contribute to new RFIs or RFPs with the larger Public Sector team at Orbital Insight to help land new government contracts (or expansions)
- Maintain and process large amounts of geospatial data; write code for automate complex geospatial requests
- Build and maintain production pipelines for ingesting images from satellite/UAV operators and process them in the cloud at scale
- Work with computer vision and data science teams to define and implement algorithms for multispectral image analysis, computer vision, and data analysis
- Design, code, test deploy, maintain and own scalable microservice(s) , foundational at Orbital Insight
- Mentor and guide junior engineers include code and design reviews
- Active TS Clearance required (must be willing to get TS/SCI with CI Poly)
- BS or MS degree, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (physics, mathematics, bioinformatics, computer science, operations research, etc.)
- 9+ total years of industry experience as a Software engineer
- 5+ years experience with Python or other similar language
- 5+ years experience working on large scale, production systems
- 2+ years experience working with microservices or other service based architectures
- Experience working within C2S or similar classified networks is required
- Experience working with AWS (or Azure) an Docker is required
- Knowledge and experience with PostGIS, GDAL, Redis, Kubernetes, and Cassandra is a major plus
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Strong background in agile, and ability to mentor others in its use a major plus
Orbital Insight is a fast growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public sector clients across the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Google Ventures, Sequoia Capital, In-Q- Tel and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.