Liminal’s mission is to accelerate the clean energy transition by improving the cost, quality, and reliability of battery manufacturing. We do this by providing customers with better analytics and insights during production. Our breakthrough EchoStat® platform uses ultrasound and machine learning technology to supply customers with the information needed to accelerate production ramp-up, improve productivity and reliability, and detect critical defects early. Liminal has active product evaluations with major cell manufacturers and EV OEMs, and are on track to close multiple $M deployment contracts for commercial cell production in 2023.
Our Culture and Values
- We are dedicated to building a world-class, world-positive company.
- We work closely on a foundation of mutual trust and informed decisions.
- Our core values are trust, empathy, and curiosity.
- We value personal growth, continuous learning, and safety.
- We believe the most innovative teams are inclusive of and celebrate all forms of diversity.
About the Role
Liminal is experiencing significant growth in sales, customer engagement, and product deployments. We are looking for a Senior Solutions Engineer with a background in battery manufacturing to join our customer facing Solutions team.
In this technical role, you will engage closely with customers from the pre-sales process all the way into post-sales deployment, training, and commissioning. This will require a good amount of travel, domestically and internationally. In particular, this role will serve as a subject matter expert on battery manufacturing for our customers, external technology/automation partners, and for other members of the Solutions and Commercial teams.
This role will report to the Head of Solutions and Customer Programs and can be based either in our headquarters in California or adjacent to our customers in Michigan/upper Midwest.
Main Responsibilities Will Include
- Identify pain-points in battery manufacturing through market research and customer conversations, and provide actionable feedback to product & engineering teams.
- Define statement of work for projects with customers based on their near term and long term needs.
- Engage with customers and partners to identify additional product opportunities in battery manufacturing.
- Design and carry out experiments in-house to evaluate battery manufacturing customer-related value challenges and opportunities
- Support company collaboration efforts with external R&D centers focused on new applications and/or use cases for EchoStat solutions
- Provide pre-sales technical support to business development team and prospective customers
- Work directly with our customers and their integrators to develop and execute validation and integration plans, including Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) and Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) for our inspection solutions into their production environments
- Train customers in the use of Liminal solutions
- Develop strong product expertise across hardware, software and analytics components of our solutions and products
- Collaborate with the team and company to develop and implement best practices and procedures for the Solutions team
- Provide customer feedback to the Product and Engineering teams as required
- Regular travel (25%) to customer sites for kick-off meetings and/or deployments, as well as to trade shows and conferences
We value candidates who are naturally curious, passionate about their work, and love being challenged respectfully. You care deeply about your team, communicate directly, and believe in doing what you say.
- 3+ years of professional experience with battery manufacturing and/or technology
- Experience with battery materials and cell fabrication process development and characterization
- Experience with battery cell and pack design and safety, electrochemical methods for analyzing battery quality and behavior, and fundamental electrochemical processes in battery manufacturing.
- Ability to analyze battery cell and component characterization data independently
- Experience troubleshooting battery test equipment hardware and software
- Understanding of battery manufacturing processes to read between the lines during conversations with customers
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or applied sciences relevant to battery manufacturing (e.g. mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science, etc.)
- Able to travel to customer sites and events in North America and Europe regularly
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in teams and independently with minimal supervision
- Curiosity about how things work and tenacity at tinkering and learning new things
- A coachable attitude and a strong desire to improve yourself and others around you
Nice to haves
- Previous experience at an early-stage startup
- Experience with manufacturing inspection / metrology / quality control products
- Familiarity with next-gen battery technologies and inspection methods
- Understanding of battery physics and electrochemical processes
- Hands-on experience with industrial automation equipment (PLCs, IPCs, controllers)
- Basic familiarity with Python programming and Linux shell environments
- Graduate degree in engineering or applied sciences
- Fluency in a key foreign language (eg German, Korean, Mandarin, Japanese, or French)
- Annual salary of $145,000 to $170,000 plus stock options, based on skill level and experience, to help you and your family build a healthy and secure future.
- Group health benefits that provide support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching.
- Flexible working hours so you can be productive at the times that work best for you.
- Generous time-off policy to allow you to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, and holidays.
- For new parents, 8 weeks of fully-paid parental leave that you can take at any point during the first year.
Liminal is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate all forms of diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. However you identify or whatever your path here, please apply if this job excites you. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment.