SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOURCING SPECIALIST
SpaceX is on a fast track to become the market leader in various product categories like US based human spaceflight, rapid vehicle reusability, internet services through the Starlink constellation and others exciting projects. The SpaceX Supply Chain Department is a critical player in our operations. To capitalize on SpaceX’s technological and market changing successes, our team will be part of managing an agile yet robust supply chain that will enable a competitive advantage for the company. The functions within the department include procurement, planning and fulfillment, supplier development and quality, logistics and inventory. SpaceX Supply Chain will play a key role in enabling SpaceX to meet these ambitious growth targets and greatly contribute in making us a multi-planetary species.
- Conduct comprehensive supplier analysis to formulate a strategic sourcing plan that identifies new/suitable suppliers, optimize cost structures and proactively ensures continuity of supply based on macro market or industry trends. Manage the supply base by implementing a precise supplier stratification model and executing on a documented supplier management playbook
- Ensure health of supply base by evaluating and selecting suppliers based on capability, quality, reliability, and price competitiveness. Ensure supplier meets all critical measures of performance consistently by consistently executing on an operating plan with clear goals and control plans
- Analyze supplier operations to assess technical capability, equipment, and capacity for rapid deployment of new product development and long term production to implement a successful E2E product life cycle management strategy and process
- Direct and execute initiatives that support aggressive improvements in supplier quality, total cost effectiveness, enhanced service levels, improved coordination, delivery, pricing, lead-times, payment, risk compliance and other areas as identified
- Develop supplier score card to measure supplier performance against agreed upon key performance indicators; tracks compliance and supports formal management reporting to director and other members of senior management. Benchmark, track, and analyze annual performance metrics and sourcing trends against budget on a monthly basis to demonstrate continuous improvement and progress against strategic objectives
- Developing strong relationships with internal stakeholders, understanding their needs and consulting with them to build quality procurement strategies aligned to business requirements. Be the voice of reason and push engineering to make sound design decisions that are conducive to a high performing supply plan. Drive Make vs. Buy decisions for new products, implement the strategy across the product lifecycle from development, qualification, first article runs through stable production
- Execute sourcing strategies including development and execution of RFI’s and RFP’s, document bid events through correspondence to suppliers; develop selection criteria for suppliers in collaboration with cross-functional teams; conduct supplier negotiations/contracting and ongoing contract management
- Coordinate with Engineering and Quality organizations to determine cause of rejected material and to drive appropriate changes to ensure elimination/reduction of those quality issues
- Administer moderate to large contracts and independently negotiate with supplier’s contract terminology, pricing, technical requirements, scope and terms involving responsibility, liability, indemnification, intellectual property and export compliance
- Execute purchasing transactions within scope area by issuing purchase orders for SpaceX programs and ensure delivery. Manage all relevant master data in MRP to ensure accurate and complete information at all times
- Consult/advise buyer/planners on strategies and tactics to ensure their success and development. Provide high-level oversight and support to ensure operational success in tactical procurement execution
- Conduct director-level supply base health and performance scorecard and ensure executive support for the supply base management plan
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, supply chain, or a similar technical discipline
- 2+ years of technical procurement experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience reading drawings and blueprints
- Technical knowledge in a commodity – for example, composites raw material, composite component manufacturing, machining, avionics, soft goods etc.
- Experience in sourcing from a global supply base using various contractual models
- Proven success working on cross-functional new product introduction projects, completing cost models, and negotiating
- Familiarity with ERP systems and purchasing/planning functions
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Ability to identify and resolve technical, operational and organizational problems
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Conducts all activities with the highest of integrity
- Ability to travel and communicate outside of work hours
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.