CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for an S&T Client Leader based in our Buffalo office. Take a look at the description below. If you think your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we’d love to hear from you. We’re looking for creative, curious, empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated design solutions firm focused on helping people continuously flourish. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education or the next big idea in business, we use our Living-Centered Design approach to help organizations realize widespread change. Our ability to design transformational places, plans and strategies is why Fast Company named us a World Changing Company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Your role is focused on providing expertise in laboratory planning/design, as a Subject Matter Expert for research, teaching and production project typologies and client leadership within an office or market and building and maintaining strategic long-term relationships with targeted clients and collaborating with other subject matter experts. You will contribute to the success of the firm, including in the areas of business development and client engagement, client and team leadership, mentoring our people, advancing the quality of our work, integrating our range of design services, managing our processes and delivering solid financial performance. Importantly, you will be an ambassador of our brand, responsible for demonstrating how our Living-Centered Design approach can help clients and partners achieve their goals. You will provide client and project leadership in the area of science planning and subject matter expertise by leading and owning the client relationship in these areas. You will work in partnership with our designers and other team members to advance a holistic approach to design.
Expectations of success include:
- S&T Subject Matter Expertise: Leading laboratory planning and design efforts on projects in collaboration with other disciplines and planning staff members. Deliver innovative and state-of-the art design solutions for complex science buildings and campuses.
- Client Leadership: Leading, engaging and partnering with our clients on billable project-specific work, fostering strong client relationships, driving successful project outcomes and financial success, while creating opportunities for future engagements. Championing Living-Centered Design and bringing our firm’s purpose—to help people continuously flourish—to life in every touchpoint you have with clients.
- Market Growth: Developing new net signed fee opportunities for our markets, practices, and service lines through the successful engagement of existing client partners, and the pursuit of new target clients, to increase our firm’s top line capture and grow the market.
- Team Leadership: Leading and mentoring project teams and engaging with the practice to advance the firm, the office, the market, and our services. Working collaboratively within our SFMO (Single-Firm, Multi-Office) culture to advance and support high-performing teams focused on delivering high-quality service and innovative design solutions to our clients.
Areas of Focus
Client Leadership: Responsible for the leadership and growth of client relationships within an office or market. Must be a self-starter and an entrepreneurial person with the ability to lead clients and client teams and collaborate effectively with others across the full range of services provided by our firm. Expected to be hands-on in support of our clients and in the development of the work from the initial client visioning meetings through completion of the work.
- Top Line Development: Collaborate with Office Market Leaders, the Office Practice Leader, Service Leaders, Business Development Leaders and the BMBD Team to focus on growing the top line of your office and the firm by securing new client relationships and expanding existing ones. Champion strategic client development and seek to differentiate CannonDesign in the marketplace. Champion our Omnichannel approach by promoting all markets, practices, and integrated services throughout all phases of client engagement.
- Team Leadership Skills: Proactively develop and lead collaborative project teams. Expected to build and lead diverse and inclusive teams capable of both winning and executing transformational solutions that differentiate the firm and add value for our clients. Responsible for ensuring success both from a client and a CannonDesign perspective.
- Strategy and Planning: Develop an understanding of the business, operations and process needs of the client as well as the resulting market solutions. Possess the ability to bring together a comprehensive team of experts and thought leaders within CannonDesign focused on executing creative, state-of-the-art solutions.
- Bottom Line Growth: Working with the Business Practice Leader and Office Market Leader to ensure our firm’s business practices, goals and bottom-line initiatives are successfully implemented.
- Staff Development: Mentoring and growing emerging professionals. Assisting in establishing an environment that encourages leadership, integrity, humility, respect and responsibility, along with collaboration, experimentation, innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship. Building enthusiasm for Living-Centered Design among teams and showing emerging professionals how it applies to their work.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Interior Design or Interior Architecture, Engineering or related degree required.
- Current US Architectural License, PE or NCIDQ certification preferred.
- 10 years minimum experience with a proven track record of pursuit success in the S&T Market.
- Additional certifications and/or training relevant to this role is preferred.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Business acumen and proven ability to execute strategy.
- Professional acumen and maturity demonstrated by the ability to communicate authentically and respectfully.
- Some travel required.
As a Federal Contractor, CannonDesign is required to comply with President Biden's Executive Order 14042. Therefore, as a condition of employment, all employees must provide proof of receipt of a full COVID-19 vaccination unless qualified for a valid medical or religious accommodation.
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design. We advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our DEI Council, Employee Resource Groups and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.
Please note that candidates can only apply to our positions on our company Careers site. It's not uncommon for scammers to create positions that look legitimate on other sites; never enter your information or apply for CannonDesign positions on any platform. Should an issue arise that you feel we should be aware of, please contact us. Please provide your resume and portfolio when applying.
As a condition of employment, all employees are expected to complete mandatory training, including compliance training, within required timeframes and adhere to our internal policies and our Code of Conduct.
CannonDesign recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity. We consider all qualified employment applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment at CannonDesign in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.