Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
What is DLS at Airbnb?
DLS is our Design Language System. Launched in early 2016, the DLS is the shared language that engineers and designers across Airbnb use to design and build our apps and website. DLS consists of brand values like colors, fonts, and icons, inclusive design standards such as digital accessibility and globalization, a library of UI components, UX patterns, frameworks supporting a rich design vision, and innovative tooling to enable engineers and designers across Airbnb to build products efficiently.
About the Role
Within DLS engineering, you have an opportunity to collaborate with talented Android engineers working across every product team at Airbnb, and an opportunity for significant impact through your ability to increase developer efficiency and product quality through your work. You also have the opportunity to work closely with a talented team of senior experience designers to bring together design vision with engineering expertise to push the boundaries of the experiences that we are able to build in our products.
What You'll Do
- Architect and build the next generation of Android frameworks and tooling used by every team at Airbnb to build UI
- Drive adoption of DLS frameworks, tooling, and reusable components across product teams at Airbnb to enable greater efficiency
- Provide technical leadership, and establish and evangelize best engineering practices across product teams at Airbnb for how we build UI
- Provide mentorship and advocate for best practices through thoughtful code and design reviews in Kotlin of the evolving DLS system, frameworks, and tools
- Consult on Android feasibility and architecture as new designs develop
- Work collaboratively with partner teams to build alignment around the evolving Android UI frameworks, processes, and tools, and ensure that they meet product developer needs
What You'll Need
- 8+ years of full-time work experience in software engineering, information technology, or related domains
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available on the Google Play Store
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence and product sense on Android
- Experience with Kotlin
- Experience with designing and building large scale production systems or features
- Nice to have: Interest in design and UX
- Nice to have: Interest/experience in building animations and custom interactions
- Nice to have: Experience working on design systems
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...