Stripe’s mission is to increase the Internet's GDP. We do that by building the economic infrastructure that powers the Internet. Stripe is working on making the global financial system programmable.
Stripe’s Revenue & Reporting group is building new products that expand the scope of problems we tackle beyond payments into revenue management and analytics. Right now this includes Billing, Invoicing, Revenue Recognition, Sigma, Customer Portal and the underlying platform for reporting and analytics,- and there’s more on the way.
We are building a new team for a new initiative in this product space. The work will involve a mixture of greenfield development and integration with existing products. It will be orientated around service APIs and process automation for financial and reporting workflows.
We already see one of the largest transaction flows seen on any platform. Your work will directly empower millions of businesses to generate, collect, measure, analyze and grow their revenue better.
We are looking for a strong engineer to join this new initiative at an early stage, who is motivated to build solutions for our businesses and the Stripe ecosystem. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Java, Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Research, design, and build key new parts of the platform. You will scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices, identify tradeoffs and challenges, and communicate these to the rest of the team
- Lead development of a comprehensive set of tools to enable effective and delightful developer experience for revenue related products
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as product, design, infrastructure, and security to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of our developments
- Design, build, and maintain beautiful, robust, and powerful APIs or services so that complex business logic can be gracefully handled by multiple internal and external customers
- Help debug and solve critical production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Develop prototypes for new workflows and systems, deliver work early and often to real customers, and iterate your development based on feedback
- Develop, test and maintain work to meet security, scalability and performance requirements so that our work runs reliably and efficiently at large-scale
- Work closely with engineers and product managers in your team, and across the group, so that we build a valuable and impactful solution for our customers and the business
- Coordinate and collaborate with engineers and product managers from other teams across Stripe to ensure good relationships, technical alignment, and fluent communication with other Stripe products and systems
- Measure the effectiveness of our engineering work, and use data to drive decisions to help our users and their customers
- Advise the leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of Revenue & Reporting products from the platform perspective
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You might be a fit for this role if you:
- Have 6+ years of experience in a hands-on software engineering role
- Are customer focused and find satisfaction in building products to help others be more effective. You maintain a high degree of empathy for your users and seek feedback from them about your work
- Have a strong experience developing APIs or workflow based systems for production use at scale
- A preference for simple, intuitive and expressive solutions and designs, and have an understanding for what is lasting and scalable learned through production experience
- Think about systems: their edge cases, failure modes, and life cycles; build with these in mind, and can debug complex problems when things go wrong
- Thrive working on projects from early decision making stages through to successful completion, all the way over the line to production, blog posts, and documentation
- Enjoy communicating about the systems you help build: describing how the system works in writing or talks, listening to feedback, writing documentation
- Have a passion for learning about the technical systems and context in which you build
- Enjoy building relationships with adjacent teams and stakeholders
- You are a thoughtful and supportive team member, who cares deeply about nurturing a diverse team and company
It would be a bonus if you have any of:
- Experience developing application ecosystems
- Experience developing and maintaining distributed systems
- Experience building process automation tooling
- Experience building real-time systems
- Experience building streaming APIs
- Experience in building microservices architecture-based products
- Experience in financial technology product space
- Domain expertise in accounting or financial management
It’s not expected that you’ll have deep expertise in every dimension above, but you should be interested in learning any of the areas that are less familiar.