A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded eight years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
Lever is growing its Infrastructure team to support the growth of its business and products. We are looking for a self-motivated Infrastructure Engineer to lead our initiatives to raise the bar on our Operational practices and make our systems more scalable, robust and resilient.
As Lever’s Infrastructure Engineer, you'll be automating all the things: application and infrastructure deployment, continuous integration, monitoring, and alerting.
You’ll also own deployment and operation of Lever’s product systems and services. You’ll lead the design and development of tooling, automation, and dev processes for operating a fast-growing SaaS business. You'll also address the unique operational challenges of a real-time web application.
Help us mitigate risk while increasing reliability. We’ll trust you to lead our ability to triage and deal with operational issues. Advise our team on how to write code and architect systems that make our entire codebase more testable, scalable, and dependable. Introduce tools and practices to improve our deployment and testing. Own our disaster planning and socialize the monitoring and on-call procedures that will help our entire engineering team support you.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about minimizing downtime. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about lots of things--automation, friendly chat bots, creating a great hiring experience, and a great user experience--and we love sharing those passions with each other.
THE SKILL SET:
- 6+ years in a DevOps role for a cloud-based software-as-a-service
- Experience operating and optimizing MongoDB as a critical component
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Elasticsearch
- Prior experience as a software engineer; knowledge of JS or Typescript is a plus.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You'll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever's broader organization.
- Ramp up on Lever’s engineering stack by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering training sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Complete your first engineering project!
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Own, plan and implement your first infrastructure project
- Systematically identify and tackle complex problems using our monitoring tools (Datadog, ELK)
- Have an understanding of the services that Lever is comprised of and how they interact with one another
- Participate in infrastructure-specific on-call rotation, diagnose and resolve production issues.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Implement, launch, and support your first initiative. You’ll partner cross-functionally with Engineering and focus on keeping your stakeholders apprised of progress and updates.
- Have made a visible impact on the operational quality and rigor of our infrastructure.
- Own a major initiative to scale up our infrastructure.
- Participate in interviewing and hiring, as a way to influence team growth and how our values inform our culture.
- Be comfortable navigating most of our stack and infrastructure.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Be responsible for the planning, scoping, design, and implementation of infrastructure improvements.
- Estimate technical scope and time to complete major features and initiatives.
- Help grow other engineers technically by mentoring, pairing and developing other learning opportunities.
- Collaborate with engineering and product leadership to define priorities and set delivery goals.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS
. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend
, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
or learn more about what Lever Engineering is up to on the Engineering Blog