About Our Company:
We got tired of seeing our friends and family struggle under the crushing weight of student loans. So in 2013, we did something about it. We made a marketplace filled with banks and credit unions looking to help student borrowers. We used that network to help people shut out of refinancing find a way in. And we did it all from a tiny office in Cleveland, OH. In other words: we built Splash Financial.
Today, we’ve become a national leader with over $6 billion in refi requests. We’re expanding into technologies like machine learning, and automated underwriting that helps us match consumers to great offers — right from their phone. And we’ve raised over $70 million from investors like DST Global, Citibank, Northwestern Mutual, DVP, CMFG Ventures and more. But at our core, we’re still that little company from Cleveland with a big dream: to make people more powerful than their debt.
About Our Workplace:
Splash is remote-first, and proud of it. We spend our days creating ways to simplify financial products, then get them into the hands of people who need help. Right now, we’re focused on developing financial technologies that fundamentally change the way the industry lends. And before you ask: no, we’re not a crypto thing. And to hire the best, we provide the best: great health insurance, competitive salaries, and unique benefits like a $500 stipend to improve your home office (Giant monitor, anyone?). And although we’ve been around since 2013, we still love to think like a start-up — a place that empowers good people to do great things, fast. We’re friendly, folksy, and have Slack channels for both major league sports and minor league anime.
Also: we sometimes have free t-shirts.
About the Role
Splash Financial is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to play an essential role in shaping the features and functionality of our digital application and financial SaaS platform.
Technology at Splash
We are committed to being a Functional Programming shop and using a mixture of languages, with the focus being on Clojure for all new development. At Splash, we don’t believe engineers are just order-takers, so we involve them up front in ideation and respect their views on how best to deliver value to our customers.
Our Engineering Principles:
- Engineers make the estimates
- Leave code better than you found it
- No managers who don’t code
- Deliver value and celebrate success
- Teams are mission-driven and win, or lose, together
If you’re at a point in your career where you’re ready for the challenge and excitement of shaping a program and scaling it exponentially, this could be the role for you.
What you'll do at Splash:
- You will be part of a KPI-driven product team with a clear mission
- You will write clean, well-tested code in Clojure and Clojure Script
- You will deliver code often
- You will mentor other engineers
- You will exchange frank, constructive code reviews with your peers
- You will help evolve our system architecture toward microservices
- You will learn new technologies constantly
- You will celebrate successes with your team
- You will get to know the people you work with as actual people through office game nights, happy hours, breakfast rallies, and other events
- You can work anywhere! We have a great Remote culture and utilize a number of tools to allow us to be highly collaborative!
- You will own delivery of one or more team goals (OKR's)
- You will demonstrate good judgment in setting technical strategy within a team, across multiple teams, and in collaboration with cross-functional partners
- You will take a leadership role in design decisions within your team, and design decisions which extend into common ground as well; you’ll be expected to offer your opinion to influence the broader tech org
What you'll bring to Splash:
- You have at least 7 years of full-stack development experience using modern programming languages, and you know how to deliver value through your code
- You are passionate about Software Engineering as a craft. You are always learning!!!!
- You have a pragmatic view of your work
- You always leave code better than you found it
- You love TDD
- You are excited to work at a company that helps people
- You believe in high candor and you are respectful and a great listener
- You are comfortable providing confident technical leadership within a team, and willing to reach out and influence other teams as well
- You consider ambiguity a challenge worth meeting and will do what it takes to get to the bottom of problems
- You view work partly as navigating an infinite list of tradeoffs and make pragmatic decisions rooted in the problem at hand, but considering the future as well
- You’re passionate about operational excellence. You believe that working effectively together is paramount, and you leverage multiple tools to ensure sufficient system observability and uptime
What makes you stand out:
- You’ve worked in Clojure or other functional languages
- You’re excited about the Functional Programming paradigm and its benefits
- You have significant experience building and consuming APIs
- You’re familiar with Terraform or other IaC tools
- You know Docker, ECS or other containerization tools
- You’re experienced working in AWS
- You have experience designing and building distributed, message-based, systems
- You’re passionate about your technical craft and passionate about applying that craft and your experience to enable the high-functioning of a technology org, with other people similar to you, in pursuit of lofty business goals
- Comprehensive and affordable insurance benefits
- Unlimited paid time off policy
- 401(k) with company match
- 8 paid company holidays
- Home office stipend
- Paid parental leave
- Generous employee referral bonus
Employment at Splash is based on individual merit. Opportunities are open to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, creed, age, handicap, national origin, ancestry, military status, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, affectional preference, or other irrelevant factors. Splash is an equal opportunity employer.