Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are looking for highly talented and motivated strain engineers (sometimes called Research Associates elsewhere) to join our development processes, including strain design, DNA/strain construction, evaluation of strain performance, and pathway optimization and troubleshooting.
- Genetic designing of strains to optimize production of cultured ingredients
- Strain engineering to optimize production of cultured ingredients
- Developing suitable cultivation conditions and assays for screening the performance of your microbes
- Testing the metabolic and physiological performance of your microbes
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS with 2-5 years relevant experience, or MS equivalent
- Prior experience with metabolic engineering of industrial yeasts, prokaryotes, and/or filamentous fungi a plus
- Prior experience in engineering secondary metabolism or natural products biosynthesis a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.