Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are looking for highly talented and motivated strain engineers (sometimes called Research Associates elsewhere) to join our development processes, including strain design, DNA/strain construction, evaluation of strain performance, and pathway optimization and troubleshooting.
- Genetic designing of strains to optimize production of cultured ingredients
- Strain engineering to optimize production of cultured ingredients
- Developing suitable cultivation conditions and assays for screening the performance of your microbes
- Testing the metabolic and physiological performance of your microbes
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS with 2-5 years relevant experience, or MS equivalent
- Prior experience with metabolic engineering of industrial yeasts, prokaryotes, and/or filamentous fungi a plus
- Prior experience in engineering secondary metabolism or natural products biosynthesis a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.