THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
· Responsible for the development, release, and validation of Body Structures Joining content:
1. Spot Joining: Self-Piercing Rivets (SPR), Flow-Drill Screw (FDS), Steel Resistance Spot Welding (Steel-RSW), Aluminum Resistance Spot welding (Al-RSW), Clinching
2. Seam Joining: GMAW / MIG / MAG (CMT), Friction Stir welding (FSW), Laser Welding, Laser Brazing
· Coordinate with Body Structures Design Team, CAE, and physical testing validation during Design, Prototype and Production Launch phases.
· Work with CAD team to document 3D Joining in Catia v6 / Enovia PLM system.
· Create and lead development of the DVP for validating Body Structures material joint assumptions.
· Support supplier selection process with heavy interface to purchasing and from supplier engagement.
· Engage in debate and discussions during all body design reviews as owner of Structures Joining content.
· Work closely with plant to establish repair procedures and root cause failure modes for on-going quality improvements.
· Be technical lead for Joining, driving best practices and fundamentals/requirements into design.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
· Experience in delivering Body Structures joining solutions (Spot Joining & Seam Joining); working knowledge of structural joining methods (SPRs, FDS, RSW, MIG, Laser, etc.)
· In-depth knowledge of Aluminum and Steel Alloys
· Adhesives and Sealers fundamental knowledge
· Catia V5/6 Basic application user
· Ability to work in a team in a fast-pace environment
· Strong understanding of the first-principle physics & requirements of structures content – the loads, forces, and overall function of the system.
· Familiarity with DFMEAs, DVPS and functional safety requirements
· Exhibiting the Rivian 101 in everything that you do.
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.