Refinery29 UK is looking for a well-trained, next-generation sub editor to help take our content to the next level. Our ideal candidate is able to excel in a fun and fast-moving environment without losing her/his meticulous attention to detail or missing deadlines. Should be able to work content-agnostically, and with an eye toward accuracy, story organisation, and tone.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Edit anywhere from 8 to 15 stories per day for content and structure, liaising with assigning editor and writer when revisions need to be made.
- Occasional copy-editing projects for non-editorial departments, including marketing, events, and design.
- Be absolutely obsessive about clean grammar and typo-free copy.
- Help evolve and uphold best practices and standards.
- Ensure all copy is on-brand, on-voice, and with the appropriate tone. Be as mindful of awkward phrasing as you are of inappropriate/sensitive content, and the handling thereof.
- Turn every headline into a can’t-miss opportunity.
- Be trained in fact-checking and sourcing, flagging with editors and writers when inconsistencies/errors occur.
- Be trained in media law.
- Be trained in SEO.
- Be familiar with Content Management Systems.
Minimum 3 years in an editing role (not including internships); digital experience preferred.
- Writing, editing, and copyediting experience a must.
- Ability to think critically and dissect the crucial message of each story.
- A flawless command of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment against tight deadlines, without sacrificing accuracy.