BuzzFeed, the social news and entertainment company, seeks an SVP, Corporate Communications who will be responsible for BuzzFeed’s global corporate communications, including oversight of global media relations, public relations, and executive communications. Reporting to the CEO, this individual will serve as strategic counselor to BuzzFeed executives and cross-functional partners, providing thought leadership for PR issues management.
This is an exciting and key role with significant opportunity to make a big impact in driving the value of corporate communications as a strategist and hands-on team leader, responsible for creating and implementing effective communications programming aligned with business objectives, and managing team members responsible for global media relations.
Key Responsibilities: Executive Communications, Media Relations, Social Media, Brand PR, Issues Management
- Develop and execute a defensive and proactive communications strategy that effectively supports BuzzFeed’s business goals, is consistent with BuzzFeed’s values and voice, and strengthens the company’s reputation.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to executive team and across the commercial and functional teams.
- Lead the development of external communications for the CEO and BuzzFeed leadership, including speaking engagements and presentations in support of the company’s strategic imperatives and growth plans. This includes writing and developing ongoing communications, speeches/talking points, presentations, video scripts and advising on social media presence.
- Manage team members responsible for global media relations, serving as team leader and mentor.
- Establish/maintain strong media relationships, manage media inquiries and provide strategic counsel on public relations programs.
- Collaborate with internal communications team members to understand internal needs and activities, and gain insights for key deliverables. Work together for coordinated internal and external communications.
- Provide leadership on crisis and issues management, including protocols and messaging for ongoing readiness.
- Oversee corporate social media strategy and implementation, in close partnership with social media manager and Digital Marketing team. Help prioritize social media activities and drive expansion of core social media capabilities.
- 15+ years of public and/or media relations experience, working with cross-functional teams, including experience setting and executing a corporate communications strategy at the organization level.
- Track record of managing complex, highly sensitive issues with successful outcomes.
- Experience and understanding of the tech and/or media industries.
- Leadership and management of a team and executive
- Passion for innovation
Demonstrated ability to:
- Build relationships across the organization at all levels.
- Understand communications and its role in shaping the company culture and performance.
- Be able to understand and clearly communicate business and financial performance.
- Be a strong self starter who is eager to make their mark in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization