LiveCA LLP is one of Canada’s largest online CPA firms serving clients all across Canada . As a fully remote firm, we aim to foster an inclusive and collaborative work environment for both our people and our clients and tools like Slack and Zoom help us stay connected in the digital world. At LiveCA we value the need for a flexible work environment because we know your best work can be done from anywhere and anytime.
Why Work for LiveCA?
Growth - We recognize the importance of growth in our personal and professional lives. That’s why each team member is eligible for a continued professional development allowance so you can continue to grow with us.
Work From Home: Our team works completely remote which gives you the choice to work from home, a coffee shop, your favourite vacation spot or anywhere there is Wifi.
Flexibility: You’ll be free to work within your own schedule - wherever, whenever - so long as the work gets done. Most of the team works a traditional 9-5 schedule, but if you need to take some time off for personal errands, just block it off on your calendar.
Wellness: You'll gain access to great health benefits and a health spending account on your first day with LiveCA. Everyone also gets 10 paid days off per year for illnesses or mental health because your physical health and mental health are equally important.
Equipment: We’ll send you all the necessary equipment to get you started which includes a Macbook laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse and a stipend every paycheck for cell phone/internet bills
Vacation: Everyone starts with 3 weeks off and an additional day off for your birthday
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Associate role will be responsible for delivering a client-centric journey with a focus on creating a great client experience that results in happy clients who trust and value us. The Associate will do this by delivering quality work, providing good advice and being engaged, responsive, respectful, open to change and new ways of doing things, and responsive to feedback.
THIS JOB IS FOR YOU IF……
Adaptability - You have an interest in upskilling for a digital world and technology trends, with an openness to learning new tools and adapting how you work.
Drive - You want to grow as a professional and as a person. You are a self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
Team Player - You see yourself as part of a team and understand that your efforts impact others.
Accountability - You are able to manage client expectations and do what you say you will do. You only produce work that you are proud to put your name on.
Dedication - Your perseverance of effort combined with the passion for a particular long-term goal allows you to understand and influence the bigger picture.
Knowledge - You have a keen interest to learn from experts while developing a deep skillset in tax.
As part of Tax Services, a shared services team at LiveCA, the following responsibilities will be carried out in support of Firm requirements and client needs across the Firm.
TECHNICAL ACCOUNTING, FINANCE AND TAX (80%)
- Complete year-end compilation engagements, including preparing working papers, financial statements, and letters.
- Complete monthly and quarterly reconciliations, including review of the bookkeeping details and processes.
- Prepare management, investor and board reporting, such as consolidated financial statements for corporate groups, budgets, cash flow forecasts and other analyses as required.
- Complete general accounting tasks, including preparation of the monthly bookkeeping for some clients as directed by the Manager.
- Prepare corporate tax returns, including federal and provincial filings for clients operating across multiple jurisdictions.
- Prepare and file federal and provincial sales tax returns.
- Prepare personal tax returns.
- Prepare tax slips such as T4s, T5s, and other relevant slips as required.
- Support the client’s payroll compliance requirements, which may include preparation or review of EHT filings, WSIB/WCB filings, payroll remittances reports, and other relevant payroll filings or related correspondence with CRA.
- Support clients through year-end review and audit engagements, including liaising with the third-party assurance firm, preparing reconciliations, and responding to auditor inquiries.
- Attending client meetings and supporting the team as directed by the Manager, which may include scheduling, preparing the agenda and taking notes, drafting and sending the meeting summary email and, in some cases, leading a client discussion.
- Managing ad-hoc requests, questions and emails from both clients and fellow team members. This will include a responsibility to appropriately prioritize, ensure timely communication, and develop and foster relationships in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Prepare responses to CRA audits and notices, including preparation of supporting documents, corresponding directly with CRA, and communicating with the client and LiveCA team throughout the process.
- Conduct research and prepare responses to tax queries from clients and the LiveCA team.
- Prepare tax election forms and information returns such as T2057s and voluntary disclosure applications.
- Participate in corporate reorganization, M&A planning and other special tax engagements with direction by the Manager or Senior Manager including, but not limited to, carrying out the following responsibilities:
- Draft tax planning and legal instruction memos
- Prepare supporting documents such as share capital tables, notice-to-reader valuation calculations, and safe income calculations
- Handle communication with the client, legal, and other stakeholders
- Working with dynamic and growing clients, other related duties may be assigned in support of client needs.
- Provide vacation and other short-term leave work coverage for colleagues as directed by the Manager or Senior Manager.
- Provide support and training to other Associates in areas such as software, workflows, and technical accounting, finance and tax.
- Involvement in the hiring process, which may include participation in trial workdays and interview process for candidates.
- Contribute to innovation, which may include initiating process improvement, documenting new or updated procedures, developing standardized templates and collaborating with the larger team on such initiatives.
- Participate in tax-specific professional development initiatives, such as the Monthly Tax Chat.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary diploma required, BComm or equivalent.
- Achievement of a CPA designation (or in progress) required.
- Minimum 2 years of successful work experience in a similar position in a public accounting environment is an asset for all skill levels and a requirement for a Senior Associate.
Knowledge of Canadian accounting frameworks (ASPE and IFRS), Canadian tax, and experience with assurance engagements is an asset for all skill levels. Knowledge of Canadian accounting frameworks and Canadian tax is a requirement for a Senior Associate.
- Expert knowledge of, or demonstrated ability to quickly become comfortable with, various accounting programs, especially Xero and QuickBooks, is required.
- A high degree of proficiency with Microsoft / Google Office programs is required.
- Proficient with Google Suite of applications.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task competing priorities.
- You have a passion for excellent client services.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with others towards a common goal.
LiveCA is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. If selected to participate in the process, please inform the Company of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.