Away is seeking an experienced Technical Designer to join our Apparel team. As the Technical Designer for Away, you will oversee and take ownership of all aspects of technical design to ensure accuracy of product measurements, quality, construction, and fit. The ideal candidate will have a breadth of experience working with different apparel categories and fabrics. You are an expert in your field with the confidence and ability to create the fit blocks and construction standards for a new apparel collection.
You will report into our Head of Apparel and this position will be based out of our SoHo office.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee all aspects of technical design for the collection and develop/maintain fit blocks across all categories.
- Create and update specification tech packs, including detailed technical sketches, graded measurements, and construction details from development through production
- Measure garments accurately to identify any fit issues and execute fit comments efficiently to remain on schedule with production
- Lead fit sessions, provide recommendations, note call-outs, and log critiques to accurately and efficiently address all issues
- Provide grading guidelines to vendors after fit approval to ensure quality consistency and collaborate with internal and external partners
- Approve samples for production after a thorough evaluation of fit, measurement, pattern shaping, hanger appeal, and functionality
- Track and monitor progress of all sample submissions (proto, fit, pre-production, etc.)
Who you are:
- 8-10 years of experience as a technical designer in a broad spectrum of apparel categories (tops, bottoms, outerwear)
- Strong knowledge of garment construction (both knits and wovens)
- Knowledge of fabric and yarn construction, finishes and techniques`
- Leading fit sessions and working with design and production to achieve correct aesthetic and communicate fit and balance corrections to participants
- Ability to communicate fit corrections to overseas factories
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator & Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management and multitasking skills
- Strong organizational skills, technical & detail-oriented
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive, dedicated, deadline-driven and self-motivated
- Some international travel required
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!