Who we are:
Bixal is a mission-driven, woman-owned small business determined to improve people's lives through human-centered strategies and transformative technologies, with a firm belief that everyone has the right to an effective government.
We deliver on this belief by partnering with leading Federal agencies to design, develop, and deliver powerful customer experiences through holistic digital product solutions and strategic communications initiatives––bringing a high standard and unique creative energy to our clients––and our wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible.
Bixal unites different people with different perspectives from all over the world! We provide our team with an open and empowered environment where collaboration thrives and solutions flourish.
100% remote with the possibility of occasional travel to the Washington, D.C. metro area.
What will you do?
Bixal, a fast-growing Digital Communications and Technology firm based in Fairfax VA, is seeking a Technical Editor to join our dynamic team. The Technical Editor’s responsibilities will include editing the production of technical content with acute attention to detail that adheres to compliance guidelines and style guides.
The ideal candidate possess excellent editing skills, is detail oriented, proficient in MS Word, and is experienced editing documents of various lengths (from 1 to 500+ pages) for content, grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency of style, and format.
- Provide technical editing services to prepare publications for Web and print publishing, abiding by applicable copyright laws and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Substantively edit technical articles, papers, reports, flyers, and other material of various lengths (documents can be 200+ pages) for a professional-level technical publication, and for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proofread documents for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style.
- Work diligently to identify all errors and correct them immediately.
- Review work from writers and give feedback.
- Advise writers on their work to ensure that all content meets applicable standards.
- Manage tight deadlines; communicating with all team members to make sure that everyone is on schedule.
- Develop templates that are streamlined and uniform.
- Provide technical writing services as needed.
- Be an active member of a transparent, collaborative, high performing Agile team.
- Support Bixal’s business development efforts to expand our presence in current programs or sectors.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, English, or a related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in technical editing, 3 of which shall be within the last 5 years.
- Ability to undergo and pass a Public Trust security clearance.
- Expert skills applying principles of grammar, punctuation, spelling, copyediting, and proofreading.
- Strong experience and comfortability with Microsoft Office suite, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat Pro, plus other word processing software.
- Ability to synthesize highly technical information to make it digestible for a variety of audiences.
- Experience in preparing copy for publication.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with complex editorial and production processes and tasks that contain multiple phases.
- Ability to well under pressure and willingness to put in extra hours – as needed – to meet project or proposal deadlines.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Proficiency in The Chicago Manual of Style, U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO) and Section 508 compliance is required.
Nice to Haves:
- Master’s Degree in a related field.
- Experience with the Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center R&D Communication Reference Guide (CRG) is preferred.
- Experience with subject matter in highway technology, pavements, structures, and construction and maintenance is preferred.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
Work from home flexibility
401K with matching incentive
Flex Spending Account
Company provided short-term disability
Company provided life insurance
Professional development opportunities
New business referral bonus
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.