Technical Service Engineer - Films
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
The Technical Service Engineer will be joining the Electronics Industry team as one of its core members and will be responsible for manufacturing scale-up and delivery of quality film products to customers by working with our CMOs. The candidate will coordinate manufacturing at CMOs, understand customer requirements in terms of data and quality, and ensure the high-level performance of our products to our customers. The candidate will collaborate with marketing and sales, formulators, scientists, and biologists, to deliver meaningful products.
Immediate responsibilities include:
- Be the Zymergen representative at our CMOs to deliver on technical aspects of film manufacturing.
- Develop and improve processes at each step of the film product manufacturing process focusing on quality, speed, and cost.
- Build a strong relationship with CMOs to make sure the product is made to spec and on time.
- Ensure that initial customer experiences with the product are positive
- Support experiments, testing, and the specification process for new product opportunities
- Work closely with Marketing and Sales to collect customer requirements, help translate those requirements back to the R&T team
- Drive feedback and improvements from customers and CMOs as well as “Design for Manufacturing” input into the Zymergen organization
- Design and implement continuous improvement plans to improve process performance and decrease costs
- Expected travel intensity is 30%-50% as our manufacturing footprint is global
Key personal characteristics:
- Provide pragmatic technical leadership for new products with a high sense of urgency
- Flexible in quickly assessing commercial opportunities and adapting our value proposition/technology
- Very good interpersonal skills and strong ownership of the technology, go deep when needed
- investigative to understand how our products help customers and how we can improve our CMOs
- Excellent communicator and convincing presenter, recognized as a technical expert
- Team player with a strong desire to succeed in a start-up business
- BS in an engineering discipline plus 10+ years of process or manufacturing engineering experience in webbed goods/roll to roll processes
- Experience in Polymerization / Film casting/ Adhesives would be a plus
- Experience interacting with customers
- Proven track record of process development and scale-up success for high-performance materials
- Experience with manufacturing at CMOs
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline a plus
- Language skills for the respective region a plus (Japanese, English, Korean, Chinese)