Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis. Everyone new to the Alation team, along with our current workforce, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Alation pioneered the data catalog market and today is leading its evolution into a platform for a broad range of data intelligence solutions including data search & discovery, data governance, and digital transformation. Nearly 230 enterprises drive data culture, improve decision making, and realize business outcomes with Alation.
For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
This role will be hired in either Redwood City, CA or Salt Lake City, UT
As a Level 3 Technical Support Engineer, you will provide advanced-level technical support, helping our customers integrate with the Alation platform. You will be responsible for triaging, troubleshooting, and debugging complex issues as well as acting as an escalation point with customers and internal teams. Your work will be cross-functional and will involve working with engineering, QA, DevOps, product management, sales and customer success.
- Provide technical support to Alation customers, partners, prospects, and other Technical Support Engineers
- Resolve customer issues via our case management tool, email, chat, and/or video conferencing
- Become a technical expert and internal Support SME in at least one area of the product, with broad knowledge across the technology
- Create technical documentation and update the Alation Support knowledge base
- Build and utilize complex lab setups to replicate and resolve problems
- Maintain a groomed backlog of cases and ensure that SLAs for Response Time & Resolution Time are consistently met
- Provide accurate and complete support escalations and bug reports
- Support our Hiring, Onboarding, and Training processes by conducting technical assessments and participating in interviews, mentoring and onboarding new support engineers, and delivering training sessions in your assigned areas of expertise
- Be available for rotational weekend on-call coverage
- 5 to 7 years of experience as a support engineer providing enterprise software application support
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technologies, or equivalent experience supporting software components
- High degree of analytical, debugging, and troubleshooting skills in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a strong ability to discuss complex technical topics with customers, engineers, and product managers
Advanced-level working knowledge of:
- Linux system administration
- Relational databases (SQL, Postgres, Oracle)
- Web servers, such as Apache and Nginx
- Debugging applications written in JAVA and Python
Foundational knowledge of:
- Cluster platforms such as Hadoop and Hive
- Authentication protocols (Kerberos, SAML, LDAP, SSO, SSL certificates)
A big plus if you have experience in the following areas:
- Django system administration
- JDBC and ODBC drivers
- BI data sources (Tableau, Microstrategy, etc)
- REST APIs
- Non-relational databases (Elasticsearch, NoSQL, MongoDB, etc)
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, GCP
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!