Get to Know Voice
At Voice, we are on a mission to take social media back from big tech. Voice is the first social media platform that empowers communities to self-govern, champions realness and respects user data.
We are looking for a seasoned Technology & Media Transactions Counsel with expertise in commercial transactions, privacy and data protection, content regulation, copyright, advertising, and consumer protection to join our Legal team in Brooklyn New York. The successful candidate must be highly collaborative, self-motivated, curious, and creative with a deep understanding of Voice's products and business, and an ability to guide clients with clear, practical advice in a fast-paced environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a thriving, well-funded startup with big ambitions. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of strong leadership with high team engagement, a history of driving significant initiatives and a passion for architecting with integrity.
Where you’ll make an impact:
- Work collaboratively in a social media environment across multiple functions, including Product, Engineering, Trust & Safety, Policy, Communications, and Sales
- Stay up-to-date on relevant U.S. and international laws and regulations, especially those related to privacy and content regulation
- Provide legal advice to product and engineering teams from the initial stages of product development to launch and beyond of a social media platform
- Help build scalable and effective processes for providing legal input to clients on strategic product initiatives related to our proposed Ad business
- 5+ years legal experience (though more experience is welcome) analyzing and negotiating complex commercial transactions, including in commercial technology transactions, consumer protection, privacy, advertising law, intellectual property, or content regulation (FTC, consumer compliance)
- In-house experience at a media, advertising and/or technology company preferred
- Bar admission in good standing in applicable state (New York/California or Virginia or qualified for and willing to apply for/maintain Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- Strong background in, and understanding of, intellectual property, technology transactions, advertising, (social) media, licensing and contract law.
- Significant experience analyzing, drafting and negotiating intellectual property, software, technology and related commercial agreements, including licensing and development agreements, MSA/SaaS/subscription agreements, ad tech/data exchange agreements, IT agreements, vendor agreements and other complex services agreements, including some familiarity with related privacy and data security provisions.
- Excellent drafting and negotiating skills, keen analytical abilities, a pragmatic approach to problem-solving, as well as a track record of success in handling complex business and legal issues in a fast-paced, agile and evolving technology-driven business environment
- Solid understanding of internet and social media landscapes, and comfort in dealing with related technology development and media agreements
- Proven ability to quickly understand complex products and services, while identifying key issues and risks and offering creative solutions for business enablement
- Exceptional communication skills
We are compliant with official health and safety guidelines for COVID-19 workplace conditions, including social distancing and working remotely as appropriate. This position may be remote, however the ability to work on-site in our Brooklyn, New York office is preferred (as official guidelines evolve).
Voice is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.