Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Core to our organism engineering pipeline is the testing and analysis of our engineered strains. We leverage diverse analytical tools to get a detailed picture of the performance of these strains. Our analytical approaches are designed to work across dozens of different cultured ingredients and scale 100-1000x via software and automation. We’re seeking highly skilled analytical chemists to join our Test Team, where you will help to improve and scale our existing technologies, and define and develop the next set of analytical technologies that will lie at the center of our foundries.
The ideal candidate has experience in analytical chemistry in industrial settings, having developed, validated and deployed diverse analytical services, preferably in high throughput scale. A demonstrated ability to evolve a process in response to changing technology and demands is essential. Experience in a mixed team of software developers, process engineers, and biologists is a plus.
- Operate and improve processes for strain analysis
- Equipment troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Apply DOE approaches to refine and improve sample extraction and assay methods
- Develop processes for verification and quality control of assays to ensure low CV and high reproducibility
- Use Ginkgo's Software and Automation infrastructure to execute assays and strain tests
- Collaborate with software engineers to ensure that all generated data is captured, stored, and analyzed in Ginkgo's LIMS
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS or MS in chemistry, analytical chemistry, chemical engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with analytical methods like LC-MS, HPLC, GC-MS, or IC
- Familiarity with software or laboratory automation a plus
- Previous experience in analytical chemistry
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.