ABOUT PETERSEN AUTOMOTIVE MUSEUM
The Petersen Automotive Museum has been voted the world’s best automotive museum. Featuring a collection of over 400 vehicles, the Petersen Automotive Museum encompasses 1 full city block. On June 11, 1994, Margie and Robert E. Petersen fulfilled a long-time dream when they became founding benefactors to start the Petersen Automotive Museum. Today, the museum stands as the nation’s premiere automotive museum, serving hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.
The Petersen Automotive Museum is dedicated to the exploration and presentation of the automobile and its impact on global life and culture using Los Angeles as the prime example. Encompassing more than 100,000 square feet, its exhibits feature rare and classic cars, trucks and motorcycles from across the globe.
The Petersen Automotive Museum envisions a rapidly evolving, multi-dimensional society in which it thrives as a progressive, globally respected center for automotive research and collecting; the focal point for automotive history, culture and enthusiasm in the United States; and a premier educational institution in Los Angeles.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Working as a vital member of the Development team, the Membership Manager will be responsible for the engagement and growth of the membership of the Petersen. In addition, the Membership Manager will be responsible for all communication with the Petersen's members, including the highest level of membership, our Checkered Flag 200.
Reporting to the Director of Engagement the incoming Membership Manager will work internally across various departments to ensure that the membership's needs are met from a programmatic and events perspective. They will also work closely with the marketing and guest services department to raise awareness and ensure that the general public and museum visitors know the benefits of membership at the Museum.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cultivate and grow membership revenue by 8% year over year.
- Routinely execute landscape analyses of Los Angeles institutions to make sure that our membership levels and benefits reflect the best practices in the community.
- Create innovative solutions to recruit and retain members through identification of target markets, implementation and organization of annual campaigns, and development of value-added affinity programs.
- Provide incredible customer service and serve as the primary point of contact for the museum’s highest level of membership, the Checkered Flag 200. Act as the primary contact for all needs, which will include ticket purchases, renewal processing, and grievance resolution.
- Work with the Development Director to promote and solicit contributions from our members in addition to their regular renewal schedule.
- Oversee the maintenance of membership records and the membership database, including scheduling, contracts, invoices, staffing, and fulfillment for all campaigns.
- Collaborate internally with the Education and Marketing Departments to create added benefits and programming for members, advertise member benefits and specials to the general public, and emphasize how memberships philanthropically support the mission of the museum.
- Work closely with the Checkered Flag Events Committee and the Chairman to nurture relationships with the most involved members and create one-of-a-kind experiences.
- Continue to grow the Lifetime Membership program and work with the Development Director to steward these members for further donation or planned giving opportunities.
Events and Communications
- Conceptualize, create, and execute membership events and activities. Responsibilities will include budgeting for events, supervising Petersen staff and volunteers, arranging catering/rentals, communicating with attendees, etc.
- Maintain a calendar of membership activities and campaigns, including renewal schedules, prospecting schedules, and acquisition events.
- Collaborate with the in-house team to oversee the creation and distribution of the museum's quarterly magazine, Finish Line. This position will require securing ad revenue and contract renewal for existing advertisers, communicating with the Curatorial department to source articles, creating mailing lists, and writing articles, as needed.
- Write, create, and schedule bi-weekly Member Newsletters that cover upcoming events, promotions, member benefits, and noteworthy items or blog posts that emphasize a mission- driven message and the importance of membership to the operation of the museum.
- Work with the Development Director and Finance Department to create annual budgets and long-term strategic plans that will allow the museum to better serve existing members and acquire new households.
- Oversee, manage, and provide ongoing performance feedback to the Membership Assistant and foster open dialogue to further their professional growth.
- Administer mid-year review of performance goals and annual performance review of junior membership staff.
- Work with the Visitors Services Manager to provide semi-annual training for all Visitors Services staff about how to discuss and upsell membership at the admissions desk.
- Provide monthly feedback to the Visitors Services staff about on-site conversion percentages and provide updates of events, promotions, specials, or other tools they can use when discussing membership.
- Provide weekly reports to the Finance Department for paid dues, current members, and expiring members.
- Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, Communications, Business, or related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in hospitality, customer relations, or museum membership field.
- Ability to work nights/weekends as required (at least twice per month.)
- Experience with Microsoft Office is required
- Professionalism yet approachability in all phone, email, and in-person communication, required.
- Experience working in VIP relations or concierge services is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Salesforce or another CRM system is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in events operations or events management is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Point of Sales systems is preferred.
- Interest in the automotive world is a plus, but not required.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is 75,000, depending on qualifications and experience. In addition The Petersen Automotive Museum will provide a generous benefits package. Petersen Automotive Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
Envision Consulting was retained by Petersen Automotive Museum to conduct the search for their incoming Membership Manager.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.