General Description of the Role:
The candidate will performs interpreting/transliterating services of oral and/or written communications between Turkish and Arabic in a variety of settings, mostly between the medical staff and the patients in order to enable the medical staff to provide effective health service to the Syrian refugees; and performs other duties including office administration tasks as required. And also the candidate will timely inform the Adana Outreach Coordinator about the Syrian refugees eligible to be supported by the Special Need Funds (SNF) program.
- Provide interpreting/transliterating services for the migrant health unit (MHU) staff in order to enable them to efficiently communicate with the patients;
- Report Special Need Funds (SNF) cases to the Outreach Team Leader;
- Respect for privacy of the patients;
- Contribute to reporting if needed;
- Translate orally or in written form all documents presented by staff, and other individuals;
- Convert written materials to and from Arabic into Turkish such as recipes, medical reports, leaflets, brochures or informative notes;
- Create a new text in the target language that reproduces the content and style of the original;
- Relay concepts and ideas between languages;
- Provide interpreting/transliterating services for meetings, interviews, Skype calls, etc. including one to one and group settings;
- Prepare written translations of instructional, policy and educational materials, correspondence, and forms from one language to another when appropriate for use by the staff, and other individuals;
- Review translated material for accuracy of meaning, grammar and syntax;
- Receive and submit assignments electronically;
- Use dictionaries and glossaries for reference;
- General office administration tasks;
- Any other duties as assigned by the line manager.
- Fluent in spoken and written Turkish and Arabic, knowledge of English an advantage;
- Practical work experience in health is an asset.
- Translation work experience is an asset;
- Bachelors university degree or equivalent qualification in Turkish, Arabic, linguistics, interpretation or related fields is an asset;
- Previous working experience in the Syrian context, and are based or able to move to Antakya/Adana is an asset;
- Experience translating on health and social related topics is an asset;
- Good knowledge of Turkish health and local social services is an advantage;
- Ability to maintain an adequate speed and volume of output;
- Ability to perform under continuous stress and deliver complete and accurate translation of a broad range of subjects;
- Excellent computer skills is an asset;
- High standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original text;
- Excellent teamwork and inter-personnel skills;
- Report/proposal writing skills;
- Very enthusiastic and keen to work hard to achieve the objectives of the programme.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to a reference check. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications equally from both men and women.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.