Stripe handles billions of dollars every year for businesses around the world; the Risk team plays a critical role as the frontline of loss prevention and risk mitigation for the company and our users. As a manager on the team, overseeing Underwriters, you'll use your operational expertise, drive for efficiency, and excellent prioritization and management skills to lead the underwriting team and ensure we have the right eyes on the right accounts at the right times.
We’re looking for a self-starter who has demonstrated success handling ambiguity and solving complex problems with limited oversight. Ideal candidates will have management experience scaling an operations team.
- Found and grow a team of Underwriters who’ll specialize in areas of fraud, credit and supportability risk
- Empower underwriters to spend their time on the highest leverage work and challenge them to exceed expectations
- Develop feedback channels between Underwriters, Strategists and Engineers to improve new tools and procedures
- Delve into reviewer quality and productivity metrics to help individual underwriters and the larger team achieve continual improvement
- Act as a point of escalation for the team and help them find the best subject matter expert for a given case (if that isn't you).
- Help team members identify areas of strength and development and align those with specialization opportunities
- Oversee shift management, review allocation, and performance issues
- Collaborate cross-functionally and with other underwriting managers to absorb best practices into underwriting procedures
- Be uncompromising about the experience we provide to well-intended Stripe users
Our ideal candidate will...
- Have 3+ years experience in an operations role in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Be comfortable and competent interfacing with a large number of stakeholders from Risk and related parts of the company
- Be a talented coach and mentor dedicated to nurturing talent and helping team members perform at their best
- Have great interpersonal skills, and be adept at handling sensitive personal or performance issues discreetly
- Deeply believe in the importance of high quality, efficient underwriting as an integral pillar in a strong risk team
- Manage time and priorities effectively both for themselves and their team
- Be operationally savvy, with an ability to identify and eliminate process friction.
- Have the ability to manage and draw insights from data
- Act as a strong individual contributor when needed
Nice to haves:
- 2+ years experience managing a high-performing operations team
- Prior experience on a risk team