Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, and the narrative-driven Small Town Murders, as well as providing players with exciting new content and events in fan-favorite games such as Angry Birds Friends. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We are now seeking to add a motivated and collaborative User Experience Designer Trainee to join our flock at the Puzzle Studio for summer 2021, in Espoo, Finland.
As a trainee, you will be able to join a world-class design department and learn the ins and outs of UX creation, player motivations, and core game design from international experts. You will learn the practicalities of the craft such as the ins and outs of the design process and methodologies, latest design trends, and games. You will also need to actively engage with other disciplines, such as business, coding, design, research, marketing, and art.
You will be part of the process from ideation to concepting and finally implementation of UX designs that will be played by millions of players and get to work with extensive data sets to learn and improve your creations.
- Working with Sr. UX designer (s) in their daily tasks such as: actively engaging in features/Game design meetings with game designers, game leads, product managers, analysts, and UX researchers to help in shaping and understanding the goals/problems of the feature or game. You will also help in visualizing, communicating, and documenting a UX/UI design to the team through paper sketching, wireframes, UI flows, mock-ups, and prototypes
- Helping in observing and annotating playtest videos and communicating finding to the team alongside User researchers
- Helping in benchmarking, documenting, and communicating competitor features and games from a UX lense
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Progress towards or degree in a related field or shipped at least one game in a UX role.
- Interests in interacting and communicating with team members in a multidisciplinary environment
- Courageous enough to ask questions
- Interests in mobile games
- Skills in any relevant design/prototyping tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, XD, Invision Studio, Figma, Proto.io...
- Interests in giving and receiving feedback
We’d love if you have:
- Interests in human psychology, behavior, and motivation, especially in games
- Interests in visual design and graphic design rules
- Basic UI art skills for prototyping
- Questionnaire: You will receive a multiple-choice questionnaire that will test your understanding of the UX design craft. The questionnaire will be sent after the application deadline.
- Written Test: You will complete a written exercise that will help us evaluate your communication and game analysis skills.
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager, helping us discover who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the design director and lead designer of the game team you would be joining, helping us discover how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions, and where we can help you develop.
If you’re interested, we look forward to hearing from you soon! Please send us your CV and cover letter by 18 February 2021 (if you have a portfolio, great! Please send us the link or attach it with the application).
Refer to the Trainee FAQ
for any questions you may have. If you have other questions, send us an email to recruitment(at)rovio.com. We don't accept applications sent to this email address.
Note: The duration of this position is from 3 to 5 months usually from May to September, full-time. Depending on the candidate's availability and the team's needs, start date and duration vary. We don’t provide relocation assistance or support in acquiring a work visa if you’re from abroad. You can learn more about the traineeship experience here