Vice President, Audience Development & Engagement
New York Public Radio is seeking an experienced, goal-oriented, and entrepreneurial Vice President of Audience Development to drive the strategy, development, and execution of audience growth, engagement, and loyalty across its portfolio of brands: WNYC, WNYC Studios, WQXR, and Gothamist and across all platforms (digital audio, websites and terrestrial radio).
This role will report directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and will oversee a team of 10 people across Marketing and Creative Services, Social Media, and Audience Development.
Working closely with the Content teams, this person will be involved in formulating a strategy for audience growth but also needs to be equally comfortable rolling up his/her sleeves to drive the execution of the marketing plans.
Duties & Responsibilities
This role will build a center of excellence around growing, intimately understanding, and unlocking the full potential of our audiences with a focus on the following:
- Developing strategies and tactics to drive audiences to new and existing podcasts
- Managing our presence on social media platforms which includes shaping our editorial voice and finding creative ways to help our work break through the noise and growing audiences and engagement
- Driving email acquisition with the goal of building a robust prospect database which can be used by the Membership team to convert audiences into donors
- Growing traffic to our different web properties with a focus on building a sustainable, engaged readership
- Growing listening to our top host talent for live radio shows on WNYC
- Using data and analytics to inform our strategy, deliver editorial insights and help guide product decisions recommendations
- Understanding distribution platforms and develop strategies to broaden New York Public Radio programming to reach new audiences.
- Working cross-functionally with each of the Show teams to understand their goals and editorial calendar to develop effective messaging strategies.
- Fostering and maintaining a culturally competent, collaborative culture that inspires and retains a highly talented team. Recruit and develop talent.
Knowledge & Experience
- Affinity for New York Public Radio and WNYC's mission and content
- 12+ years of experience attracting and building audiences in media companies with a strong digital presence. Experience in audio programming is a plus.
- A strategic mindset with experience in developing new and effective marketing campaigns from concept to execution across owned, earned, and paid channels
- Experience driving email growth and building audience engagement on key social platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- Well versed in best practices managing positive ROI campaigns on paid channels including Facebook/Instagram and Google Ads.
- Extremely analytical, with the ability to define KPIs and establish required reporting
- Data-driven thinker with the ability to use data to inform, test, and iterate quickly.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of an organization, and across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational, and social backgrounds
- Strong manager with experience managing 4+ people (minimum)
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Must be comfortable working in a hands-on environment with limited resources
- Curiosity to advance our understanding of our audiences and platform trends
- Passionate about media
- A figure it out ‘doer’
- Strong communication skills
- Low on ego, high on collaborative spirit