About the company
Boxed is the easiest and modern way to shop for bulk goods. As a mobile-first company, customers can shop directly from Boxed’s app on their iOS or Android mobile device, or online at www.Boxed.com. With Boxed, customers can have their household, personal care, and pantry favorites delivered conveniently to their home or office. Our office is a dynamic, collaborative family of individuals. A technology company at core, we are a vibrant group of engineers, designers, marketers, and operations specialists with a passion for driving superior value and experience to our customers.
Boxed is going after a large household commerce market with fast-moving players, big and small. As VP of Marketing you will bring best-in-class strategy, process and execution to the company, moving Boxed forward to reach aggressive growth and profitability targets. We are seeking a seasoned marketing leader with a proven track record. You will direct a team of creative, technical, and analytical individuals to ensure campaigns are seamlessly concepted, successfully integrated across platforms, and accurately and effectively tracked. Success will be measured by customer growth, brand awareness, and cost-effective conversion. This position will report to the CEO, and work closely with the COO on a daily basis. This is someone with a demonstrated track record of increasing levels of high-quality acquisition and customer retention, exhibiting both quantitative expertise and marketing leadership. This executive is a true partner that maintains a roll-up your sleeves attitude and gets excited about solving core business issues within and beyond the scope of traditional marketing.
- Brand Strategy – Maintain frameworks and tools to continually understand our core audience. Responsible for clear articulation of our brand positioning and value proposition across all assets of the company and customer touch points.
- Mobile Mind – Balance aggressive platform-agnostic customer acquisition initiatives with the company focus of a next-generation mobile shopping brand and experience.
- Customer Acquisition – Bring executive-level thought leadership and customer-focused approach to develop, prioritize and implement paid marketing strategies across all channels. Leverage a testing approach to measure and optimize efficiency of performance in various channels.
- Loyalty Strategy – Lead next-gen programming efforts, working closely with the CTO to deliver a best-in-class (and next-gen!) product to drive customer growth and build the community. This includes, but not limited to loyalty programs and strategic partnerships. Work cross-functionally with Product and Engineering teams to optimize conversation rates at every step of the funnel.
- Content Strategy – Ensure all copy and creative is best-in-class and meets brand requirements and builds a community.
- Analytics Frameworks – Own and enhance marketing analytics to help facilitate quick testing and on-the-go decision making. Measure campaign impact, effectiveness, and ROI across all efforts.
- P&L Ownership – Own and manage significant marketing budget, ensuring key KPIs are met or exceeded. Create forecasts for strategies to meet Boxed’s engagement and revenue goals, manage budget and resource allocation accordingly.
- Team Management & Culture – Manage a team of ten, including five direct reports. Responsible for development and further recruitment to drive accelerated customer growth.
- External Agencies – Manage key external relationship, including but not limited to creative and media buying agency for TV.
Desired Skills, Experience and Requirements
- 10+ years of marketing experience, with minimum 5 years experience managing direct response channels across digital and offline
- Experience leading balanced brand and acquisition focused offline marketing campaigns, including but not limited to billboards, TV and PR/events
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills including a strong understanding of online and offline marketing metrics
- Thrives in a fast paced, highly-collaborative, entrepreneurial and high-energy environment that requires the ability to multi-task, implement across many high priority initiatives and navigate ambiguity
- High attention to detail, creative thinker and problem solver with great communication skills, both written and oral
- Skilled at leading and motivating teams of high-performing, diverse skill-set individuals
- Experience tracking success, anticipating outcomes, expecting decisions and optimizing results supported by strong planning and organization skills
- Passion for operations and developing business solutions across the business, beyond marketing
- Track record of being a good leader and executive – your current team loves you, but the boardroom also loves you
- Embodies teamwork; significant interaction with employees at all levels
- CPG experience preferred
- Mobile experience a plus
- Graduate degree from top-tier program preferred