We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a strategic, creative, and nimble VP, People & Culture to own and drive the function that is the biggest drivers of our success—our people. We believe our success comes from giving employees ownership of their domains, creating opportunities to work with passionate colleagues, and ensuring all of our employees have opportunities to develop as leaders. This role will lead all People & Culture functions, including People Operations, Culture & Engagement, DE&I, Learning & Development, Recruiting, Total Rewards and Facilities.
In four years, Away has grown from a team of five to a team of over 500 across North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. As we continue to grow and scale, the VP, People & Culture will lead the creation of programs and infrastructure that create a culture of learning & development, collaboration, and excellence. As a young company, many programs will be introduced for the first time, and the ideal candidate has a creative mindset and a bias towards action. We are a people-first company and are seeking a leader who will be trusted, respected, and inspired by the talented People & Culture team of 30+, their partners on the leadership team, and all of our employees around the world. This role reports to co-CEO Stuart Haselden, will work closely with the co-founders, and is based in our Soho office.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You’ll Do:
Organizational Design You’ll develop scalable systems to advise leaders across the company on organizational design, competency models, leadership development, performance measurement, succession planning, and change management
Culture and Engagement You’ll define, educate, and drive our culture, which values difference over sameness and rewards high performance throughout the organization through the creation and implementation of systems that are grounded in inclusion and equity
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion We deeply believe that diverse teams are more successful teams, and you’ll create and implement the organizational systems that allow Away to reach it’s full potential through leadership in DE&I
Learning Development We are a culture of constant learning, growing, and development, and you’ll lead the creation of L&D programs that prepare employees across the company to grow their responsibilities alongside the company’s growth
Recruiting Our people are our most important asset, and we’re focused on attracting the best talent in the world so that each new hire elevates our talent bar; you’ll lead the development of systems for the end-to-end recruiting process optimizing team structure, candidate evaluation, candidate experience, and new hire success rates
Total Rewards We believe in offering competitive, performance-driven compensation, and you’ll own the development and management of our compensation systems. As we evolve from a young start up to a larger global organization, our market analysis, pay structures, and benefits programs will evolve as well to constantly improve
Who You Are:
- A track record of strategic HR leadership success; your 12+ years of experience spans both private and public companies, growth organizations, and companies with global workforces
- Expertise in organizational design, performance management, leadership development, and succession planning
- Experience with retail employees preferred
- Deep passion for people and culture, and a strong instinct for managing and developing talent
- Data-driven leader who can connect workforce and business outcomes
- You are low-ego, high-energy, and exhibit the qualities of a servant leader, always asking what you can do to make everyone around you more successful
- Constantly question the status quo and believe there is always a way we can continuously improve
- Able to execute on today’s challenges while maintaining a forward-thinking mindset around where we’ll be six months, a year, and several years from now
- Data driven and goal oriented, you measure success both quantitatively and qualitatively, and understand the importance of both
- Ability to work well under pressure and with multiple competing priorities
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree, similar field of study, or equivalent practical experience
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]