Title of Job: Workplace Sustainability Manager
Role Location: Remote Eligible
Reports to: Sr Director, Global Project Management
At Okta, we believe that how we build the future is as important as what we build. Trust is at the core of our technology, our business and how we lead. To be successful, we believe companies have a responsibility not just to shareholders, but to all stakeholders – employees, customers, investors, communities and the environment. https://www.okta.com/responsibility/
As Okta’s first dedicated position focused exclusively on Sustainability in workplace capital projects and operations, the Workplace Sustainability Manager will play a critical role in designing and building our global Workplace Sustainability program. Reporting to the Senior Director, Global Project Management, you will work collaboratively across the global Workplace team. You will also partner closely with Okta’s Director of ESG & Sustainability to ensure alignment with Okta’s broader corporate Sustainability program.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy and Performance – Own the development of Okta’s long-term Workplace Sustainability program, including strategy, , and implementation plans, measurement and timelines; collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders, including Investor Relations, Legal, Finance, Workplace, HR, and Social Impact to align priorities to Okta’s broader corporate sustainability initiatives.
Measurement, Evaluation and Reporting – Apply relevant standards and frameworks (e.g. SASB, GRI, SDGs) to Okta’s Workplace environmental sustainability efforts; use data, benchmarks and insights from LEED, WELL and BREAM standards to evaluate Okta’s performance; own reporting and tracking for environmental sustainability across Okta’s Workplace function; partner with Director of ESG and Sustainability on annual disclosures such as the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and Okta’s own ESG reporting; Demonstrate how proposed policies and procedures benefit the overall triple bottom line (people, planet, profit) and create net positive impacts, articulating expected results and costs. ·
Operations and Cross-Functional Management – Lead cross-functional Workplace sustainability initiatives, along with managers and department by identifying, leading and coordinating programs and plans; partner with Finance to manage near- and long-term financial planning for Workplace Sustainability programs; effectively manage teams of outside partners, consultant and vendors toward outcomes and results. Lead and coordinate efforts to set goals and adopt new programs, track the impacts of changes in operations, lead internal audits (waste and recycling separation, energy and water use etc.), and celebrate successes.
Capital Project LEED Management - Lead project team in Onsite Sustainability Program (OSP) set-up, including initial checklist and implementation items. Lead project set-up and rollouts for project seeking LEED certification Continuously update template plans and tracking devices for use on project seeking LEED certification. Assist project teams in LEED administration and documentation. Manage project team LEED process Lead process of project execution planning for new projects. This may include: Review preconstruction specification and instruction to bidders on LEED requirements and Partner with the design team members to ensure LEED requirements are properly addressed in their specifications. Research innovative construction materials, products, and tools that assist in achieving overall project sustainability, and green building certification systems.
Communications – Develop the overall narrative for Okta’s Workplace Sustainability efforts; represent Okta externally with relevant industry coalitions and internally to Okta employees where appropriate. This includes managing the internal communications through the Workplace Sustainability website.
What you can bring:
- 7+ years of experience in environmental sustainability
- Bachelors’ degree required, MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Depth of knowledge on sustainability, climate change, sustainability topics and current trends
- Ownership over the creation of Workplace sustainability reports and dashboards
- Prior corporate experience required; experience or expertise with high-growth technology companies preferred
- Exceptional cross functional management skills; ability to bring people together around a common goal and lead by influence
- Highly skilled in data analysis and building smart and efficient cross-functional processes
- Exemplary communication skills; ability to listen actively, receive and incorporate feedback, and communicate directly and respectfully at all times
- Strong written and presentation skills for high-visibility storytelling, both internally and externally
- Ability to work as a team player in a cooperative environment
- Ability to remain open to the ideas of others and trying new approaches
- Willingness to learn and take on new responsibilities
- Ability to use available resources including trade journals and list serves to increase knowledge of industry sustainability trends and opportunities
- Adept at synthesizing complex inputs from multiple stakeholders
- A passion for stakeholder capitalism and a strong desire to evolve the relationship between business and society
- A desire to build
Meet the manager:
Assal Yavari is the Sr. Director, Global Workplace Project Management at Okta