Here at Khan Academy, we’re assembling a library of world-class instructional and practice resources to empower students everywhere. Whether they’re studying mitosis, monopolies, or Marbury v. Madison, we want to offer students the resources and support they need to succeed on their homework and exams and to realize that they can learn anything. Join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
In particular, we’re seeking a fellow to build out our video library in World History at the intro college / advanced high school (AP) level. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Create videos covering core World History concepts
- Ensure content is high quality by working with students and teachers, tracking content performance, and modifying content based on quantitative data and qualitative feedback
- Participate in and create content for timely events, such as livestream study sessions for finals and special content for back-to-school and relevant holidays
- Adapt existing, openly licensed text content to Khan Academy’s platform
- Create World History questions to help students practice skills, apply concepts, and diagnose their knowledge gaps
- Extremely strong command of the content covered in AP and intro college courses in World History
- Experience teaching World History, formally or informally
- Great intuition for how students like to learn and insight into common misconceptions
- An entrepreneurial mindset, including a high tolerance for ambiguity, a penchant for experimentation, and a bias toward action
- Impeccable written communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent time management skills
- Computer skills (fluent with Google docs and spreadsheets) and a willingness to learn new tools
- A passion for education and a desire to change the world
- We have a strong preference for this position to be a year-long, full time position from our office in Mountain View, CA; however, in exceptional cases, we are also open to remote and part time arrangements.
- For applicants who plan to work full time from our Mountain View office, you’ll need US, Canadian, Australian, or Mexican citizenship, US Residency, or other authorization to work in the US
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive compensation
- The opportunity to work on high-impact content that's already defining the future of education and improving students’ lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant – we treat new hires more like co-founders
If you work full-time from our office in Mountain View:
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- Ample paid time off as needed – we’re about getting things done, not face time
- 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter explaining your background in World History and why you’re interested in the fellowship. In addition, complete the following task:
1) Choose an important concept in World History.
Create a video (<10 mins) that would help a student in an advanced high school or intro college course learn this concept. Write 1-2 paragraphs explaining why you chose this concept and what students tend to find challenging about this concept.
2) Write 3 multiple choice quiz questions on the concept you selected for part 1. Include solutions and explanations of the purpose of each question.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.