Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down. We’re looking for a Senior web developer with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. We ship on quality instead of on time.
The tools you will use include: TypeScript, React, GraphQL and more! We don’t expect you to necessarily know all of these when you apply, just have a passion for learning and continuous improvement!
This role is within the Data Experiences team. They support the use of data at Shopify by owning the user experience around data exploration, discovery, and interpretation; that’s of course no easy feat and to do that we need people from various different backgrounds and skill-sets.
Your day-to-day will involve bridging the gap between our UX designers and back-end devs so we can deliver great experiences for everyone involved - creating good UX/UI for our users; readable, maintainable, tested code for the team; and robust code for the various browsers (😍). If this sounds like what your dreams are made of we would love to hear from you 🙂
Projects you could work on
- Building responsible and accessible web applications (including Data applications and visualizations)
- Collaborating with other disciplines like Engineering, UX, and Data Platform to help develop front-end solutions for our Data Scientist problems.
- Developing applications based in and on Typescript, React, Ruby and GraphQL.
- Learning and contributing to our Shopify wide shared design system and component library Polaris.
- Learning the latest front-end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best tools and techniques possible
- Advocating for great UX
- Writing and maintaining unit and integration tests
Relevant experience for the role
- Developing front-end web applications that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks
- Using Typescript as a programming language and be familiar with CSS
- Working with one or more modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc.)
- Working in large and diverse teams
- Providing effective code reviews and peer support
Tools and the nitty-gritty
- Our front end uses React, TypeScript and CSS Modules
- We build all our projects with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
- We are modernizing our front end stack to use a component system built with React, TypeScript, Apollo/GraphQL, and CSS modules
- You will likely be involved in modernizing existing Ruby on Rails based apps to use a React front-end, and building new React-based apps
- You will be expected to keep up with the latest frontend development best practices
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Sam and Dana look forward to reading your application.
Closing date: August 5, 2019 at 12 pm ET.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.