Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To support this work, the software we use has a large, unique range of inputs and flexibility to enable a variety of laboratory processes. We're looking for a Software Architect to rationalize our software architecture, build on the best and most appropriate technology, and drive our AWS adoption. As a self-starter who is motivated to bring organism engineering to new heights, you'll be the final decision-maker on high-level technical decisions and responsible for the overall architecture of our systems. Plus, you'll work with our Software team to ensure this architecture is properly implemented and consistently refined as needed.
To succeed in this role, you need to have a track record of successful software delivery, strong knowledge of current technologies (especially AWS), ability to create proof of concepts, and skills to concisely and accurately convey technical concepts and decisions.
- Define, maintain, and execute Ginkgo’s software architecture with input from the Software team
- Collaborate with the Product Management and Software teams to define and track roadmaps to implement this architecture
- Make Build vs. Buy decisions
- Research third-party software assets and identify potential candidates to add to Ginkgo's portfolio
- Create proof of concepts for major software components
- Collaborate with the Data team to ensure our data architecture will support data science and analytics across Ginkgo's platform
- Champion and implement continuous process improvements to enhance productivity
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in computer science or related field
- Ten years of experience creating software architectures and building software
- Five years of AWS experience
- Industry experience with biology, biological engineering, synthetic biology, or related field strongly preferred
- Superb communication skills with cross-functional teams and stakeholders
- Proficiency in agile development
- Demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps
- Superior troubleshooting skills with large systems
- Eagerness to work with the best scientists and engineers to develop new data tools for solving never-before-seen scientific challenges
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.