Varsity Tutors is looking for a senior user experience designer who is one part user-centered strategist and another part user interface designer. We’re looking to innovate on our live, online learning experiences for students and experts (tutors, instructors). The right candidate will understand the underlying business drivers, dynamic states involved in the user journey, and how their work fits our larger ecosystem. All of the UX and UI thinking should deliver visual UI design that is clean, modern, and inspirational.
The successful candidate works well in agile product design development, iterative design, and quantitative and qualitative data to inform their design strategy. The ideal candidate has experience designing consumer digital products, experience designing mobile apps, and understands how service design is involved in delivering value throughout the customer journey. This designer will work in an interdisciplinary team of product managers, designers, and engineers by testing, learning, and iterating to deliver relevant, simple, and delightful UX.
Varsity Tutors is a Nerdy company transforming the way people learn by connecting learners and experts in over 3,000 subjects.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Create user-centered designs by balancing user journey needs and feedback, user research, and technical constraints/opportunities.
- Iteratively concept (from low- to high-fidelity) and deliver solutions through testing, learning, and iteration.
- Understanding legacy software constraints as we improve existing experiences while pushing our thinking on novel products and capabilities as we re-invent and re-engineer our platforms.
- Utilize existing design guidelines while being comfortable inventing new ways to meet user needs more elegantly.
- Design for device-specific differences in user behavior and best practices (i.e., mobile vs. tablet vs. desktop)
- Communicate complex, interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and levels of the organization
- Continuously gather inspiration, follow industry trends, and contribute to the broader team’s understanding of best-in-class references. Author case studies, design patterns, and presentations to educate the wider team on emerging design approaches
- Manage workload independently while juggling multiple projects and priorities and know when to ask for help.
- 7+ years of full-time, professional design experience
- Undergraduate degree in design or portfolio school certification
- Portfolio demonstrating product design problems and their solutions
- Have solid production and prototyping skills in Figma (required) and Adobe Creative Suite (preferred).
- Knowledge/understanding of UX design best practices
- Proven ability to take direction, remain organized, communicate effectively and work autonomously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills, flexibility, and an understanding that the best ideas can come from anyone, not just designers
- Ability to gracefully receive constructive feedback
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to communicate larger customer journeys through site maps and flow maps
- Conduct smaller usability tests and research projects to support your design
At Nerdy, we:
Relentlessly Focus on Customers • Are Owners • Are Intellectually Curious • Think Big • Bias for Action • Go Deep • Deliver Results • Are Comfortable with Ambiguity • Simplify • Build Teams • Insist on High Standards • Build Trust • Have Conviction • Are Right, a Lot
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Plan
- Remote Position, fully work from home (or wherever you like!)
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday
- Paid VTO ("volunteer time off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to our Virtual School Day classes and School@Home program
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. (INDHP)